Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An Interview With Kelley!

Today we are having a chat with Kelley Holland,  owner of Our Daily Bread designs!  Pull up a chair and find out more about our fearless leader!

What prompted you to start your company?
In December of 2007, I
had recently resigned from an office job and was looking to find new
employment but did not know what I wanted to do.  My husband, Rick,
suggested starting a home-based business and I liked the idea of
working from home. 


The idea for Our Daily Bread designs was most likely based on the fact that I had been a stamper and was never able to find very many Christian-based rubber stamps
I truly believe that God gave me the idea to start my business to help
other stampers get the Good Word out to to others .  I know there were
some other companies manufacturing Christian/Scripture stamps, but I wanted to make
it easier for people to find, purchase, and use Scripture
and Christian related rubber stamps.

How many employees do you have?
I have basically been running ODBD by
myself, along with the help and support of Rick.  I do have a few
artists who design the images for the stamp sets. Recently I hired my
daughter's boyfriend, Josh, to help with the manufacturing and
packaging of the stamp sets.  We recently started going to stamp shows
on weekends and Josh works at those events also. I design all the stamp
sets, order all the materials for the manufacturing of the stamps, and
do the ordering and inventory of all the store items.  After Josh
mounts the rubber onto the cushion I cut out every stamp on my
DeWalt scroll saw. Rick and I do all the packaging and shipping of the
orders.


How did you choose the name of your company? The most basic prayer of
all that I have said my entire life has been the "Lord's Prayer." I always loved the line "Give us this day our daily bread" as I feel we are not only asking God to help provide us with food for the body, but spiritual food also.


Tell us a little about how you decide on set design.  
Sometimes I start with the a few verses that I love and I see a common
theme among them, and so I think of an image that would go well with
that set.  Other times I begin with an image and the theme evolves from
there and I add verses to go with the set.  For example: The "Children
of God" set was based on a cement statue that I bought from a store
in Amish country last year.  It is a statue of Jesus holding one child
while another child is holding onto Jesus.  I adore that statue and
wanted to have a set showing Jesus' love for children.
I usually have a many verses for one set so I narrow it
down to my favorites and then begin to find a font that I like for that
set. I normally change my mind a few times until I settle on one that I
think is just right.


What is your favorite ODBD set so far?
Wow, that is a really tough
question! I would have to say the Scripture Collection stamp sets because
of the friendship and support I have received from my Design Team.  I
have been so very blessed to know and become friends with all of these
Christian women who share love for God. I thought it was an excellent
way to celebrate my first year in business by having each of the girls
select their favorite scripture verse for this 2 piece set.


Tell us a little about your family.
I have been married to Rick for 27
years.  We have a 22 year old daughter, Summer, who will be a nurse in
one more year! We also have a 19 year old son, Ricky, who is a
sophomore in college. Rick and I grew up down the street from each other
in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio and moved out to "semi-country" of
Hinckley 23 years ago.


What would you like to see in the near future for ODBD?
I would
like to continue making scripture stamps and promoting the Word of
God.  We plan to add a few more stamp shows next year to reach
more people.  Even with our current advertising plan there are so many
stampers at the shows who have never heard of ODBD so we know there are
many more people out there who would love to be able to purchase our
stamps to send uplifting cards to family and friends.


I currently make donations to various Food Pantries and Hunger Shelters
and would like to continue helping them. It is so sad that even in a
country like the United States there are so many without food and
shelter. Jesus was all about helping others and that is the path we
would like to continue on.


I recently started planing for a card ministry at my church.  I have
learned so much from customers about their card ministries and I kept
getting this feeling that I should start one.  After numerous "signs" I
felt it was time to do it.


What do you like to do for fun?
Rick and I like to go bike
riding, fishing, camping and canoeing.  We are looking forward to the
future when he retires and we can do more of it! I love to stamp, of
course, but do not find much time for it these days. I love to garden
and flowers are one my favorite things!


Do you have any favorite collections or hobbies?
I collect some odd
things........LOL!! I collect moose, for inside my home, which is on the rustic
side, and I also collect dragonflies for my gardens.


If you had to choose a song that describes your personality, what would
it be?

Well, I have to steal this answer from Rick! When the song "Forever in Blue Jeans" came out (Neil Diamond),
he always said it is about me since I am always in blue jeans and not
one to be dressed up too often! That, of course, was many moons ago,
but I am basically still the same.  I do enjoy occasionally getting
dressed up, but only for short periods of time!! LOL!!


Tell us what you like best about some of the stamp shows you attend.
I love the fact that SO many people are thrilled that my
stamps are available! I am so humbled when they thank me for
making them. It is fun doing the Make-n-Takes and teaching stampers
that it really is easy to make a beautiful card very quickly!


I also love when some of my customers attend the show and I get to meet
them! This past weekend I met Kyle Eddings, so that was cool!!


Name a food you can't live without.
I would have to say it would be my
"cocoa coffee"! I mix a packet of hot cocoa with a cup of coffee
and drink it every morning!  After that it would be hard pretzels
and French Onion chip dip!! Yummo!


What are the upcoming shows you will be going to?
We will be attending shows in Novi, Michigan on August 1-2,
and in Cincinnati, Ohio on August 7-8.  August 28-29 will we be in Hamburg, New York.


How did you get involved in stamping?
My friend, Jane Wetzel, who is on the Design Team, invited me to a
stamping party about seven years ago and I was immediately hooked! I
quickly had a room full of stamps and an arsenal of stamping products!


What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you? 
The
fact that even though I own a scripture stamping business, I am not an
expert on the Bible!! I  am constantly seeking the advice from Rick, my
Design Team, my friends and my clergy on the meanings of different
scriptures and the best way to present an idea. I pray to God for
guidance and help so that I will do the right thing.


Look at this beauty that Kelley created for the past show's Make-n-Take!

Mnt 005-2
Kelley says: Cards with lots of layers, distressing and sponging are my usual style but I made this card for this past weekend's Make-n-Take project so I needed to keep it a little simpler. We were demoing a variety of products and this card uses Sweet Pea Flower Soft, Pearl Glimmer Mist, Garden Topper Flower Soft, the EK Success Dotted Wave punch , Martha Stewart 3-in-1 Butterfly punch, Hero Arts Pink Pearls, Stardust Gelly Roll Glitter Pen and Prism cardstock. I used the verse that I chose for the Design Team Scripture Collection 1 stamp set.

You can see what a gorgeous shimmer the Glimmer Mist Pearl spray gives you when you look at the close up:

Mnt 006-1

Thank you for spending this time with us and getting to know Kelley better!

Odbsiggyjudy DT Coordinator

11 comments:

seamom said...

Wonderful interview, Judy! I own about 10 ODB sets and use them often. Stamp company owners fascinate me, and noone more than Kelly. It is good to "know" her better through this in-depth interview!
One question. She mentions her interest in card ministries. I too have one, but it is totally unstructured. If possible I would love to learn more about how Kelly and other stampers structure and manage their's.
Blessings, Mary, AKA seamom

Angella Crockett said...

Awesome interview!!! Kelley, God Bless you and your "mission"!!! I am so blessed to be a part of your team! I can't wait to see what the future holds for you!!!

Grace said...

Kelley this was such a great interview!!! I loved learning more about you and how you started your business.... and what all is involved in running it!!! I LOVE ODBd as you know, and have so enjoyed my time here as GD!!! I can't believe my two months is almost over and I will miss you all terribly, but I thank you so much for giving me this opportunity! Thank you for making these stamps... they are absolutely the best!!! God bless!

Betty said...

Fantastic interview, Kelley!!! Love the clean and elegant card design!!! Great colors and flower soft detailing. Wonderful scripture card!!!

Sandee said...

Kelley! I loved getting to know a little more about you! Your card is gorgeous and so are you! Inside and out! BTW, you've got me humming, Forever in Bluejeans! :)

Crystal said...

Kelley! So good to read your interview and learn how the company came to be. I am so thankful that you have made these stamps available . They are my absolute favorites for card making. I love the Scripture Collection!

Chris O said...

Kelley, awesome interview! I am so honored to be a part of your mission. May God Bless you and your goals to honor him.
Your card is beautiful!! Awesome colors and I love the shimmer and flowersoft. That is one of my all time favorite verses. Gorgeous Scripture card!

Silke Ledlow said...

Hi Kelley - it was so fun to get to know you a bit better!!! I'm so blessed to be on your DT and I'm able to spread the wonderful words of our Savior!!!
May God bless you with your work and help you flourish!!!
BTW - I remember the first time seeing your stamp line and I was soooooo thrilled that I found a Stamp Company that sells *scripture based* Stamps!!! So keep them fabulous Stamps comin'!!! Hugs ~S~

Laurie said...

Kelley: I am so happy to hear how ODBD got started! I've been wondering. I am one of those stampers who always wanted more Scripture choices for my cards. OBDB satisfies that desire with your wonderful products. I truly like them all, but the anniversary Scripture sets are my favorite, too. I'm sure you and your family have had to sacrifice some things in order to do this (even though your interview down plays that part of it!)so thanks to you & to them.

Deb Saaranen said...

What a great interview Kelley! So interesting hearing about your family and how you've started your wonderful business!

Shopping Blog said...

You simply link to one site and discount links of london that site in turn links to another site. charms bracelets That third site then links to you and completes a perfect web charms links of london that is untraceable by anything Google can do.This can build your links of london sweetie watches Serps immensely and give you a major edge over all your competition. links of london ring uk You would be surprised just how fast Google can move links of london silver necklace you up in rankings.Now is the time to stop wasting your time on useless link building that does nothing links of london silver earrings and start using a system that is prove to work..