Sunday, May 2, 2010

Product Review & Tutorial- Ranger Embossing Powders

If you are looking for the ODBD May Day Blog Hop, please scroll down or click HERE. If you are looking for the May New Releases, please click HERE.

Now, on with the latest Product Review:

Do you ever tire of the same ole, same ole ink on paper, ink on paper? If you would like your images or scriptures to really POP, try some
Ranger Embossing Powder instead! Our Daily Bread designs carries many different colors and textures of embossing powders, including metallics, irridescent, glittery, clear, and super fine for those tiny details.


Some of you are intimidated by embossing, but as long as you follow a few simple rules, you should have no problems! I will share with you the ins and outs which have always helped me.

Supplies needed for embossing:
Versamark ink pad (slightly sticky clear watermark ink for the EP to stick to)Ranger Embossing Powder of your choice
Heat tool
Scratch Paper
Embossing/glitter trays are optional (I used scratch paper instead.)
Embossing Buddy to remove static from the paper. If you do not have an Embossing Buddy, some have used talcum powder and cotton ball....others have used a USED dryer sheet instead.
Stamps of choice



For my sample, I started out cutting a circle which will be a gift tag. Though I forgot to take a photo, I rubbed an "Embossing Buddy" over the paper to remove static....this prevents the embossing powder from sticking where it doesn't belong. I then inked my stamp with Versamark and stamped onto the tag. Generously cover the stamped area with embossing powder.


As I picked up the EP (Embossing Powder) covered tag, before tapping off the excess onto my scratch paper, I tapped my finger on the side to make sure that the EP was settled down into the versamark. Tap the excess off. The stamped image should be covered with EP...if you missed a spot, add more EP and tap off the extra again. If there are any unwanted specks of EP here and there, I will use my paper piercer or tip of my exacto knife and lightly remove the unwanted "dots". If you do not remove the extra residue, once it's heated, the "dots" will be permanent. The next two photos show the EP stuck to the stamped image and how I use the scratch paper to funnel the EP back into the jar with very little mess.


Using a heat tool, heat up the image until it turns "rubbery" or in this case..."metallic" looking. Some EP's will look a little bubbly as you heat them.....heat it a bit more and the bubbles should smooth out. Now I'm ready to emboss the image for the matching card and I'm ready to assemble the gift set!


The Mother's Day sentiment, scripture verse, bumble bee, and floral wreath from Our Daily Bread designs' "Happy Mother's Day" set were embossed with Ranger Copper Embossing Powder. The cute little burlap bag of flower seeds, for which I made the tag, I found at the $1 Spot at Target.


Other supplies used for the card: Metallic Cardstock in Blue Steel and Copper, Memory Box "Frond" designer paper, pearls, velvet ribbon tied with a Bow Easy, and "Glacier" Glimmer Mist for a sparkly finish.


This sample highlights Ranger Super Fine Detail Black EP.....the fine particles are perfect for embossing scripture stamps so that your fine lines don't blur together when heated. The scene and sentiment from the ODBD set, "As You Graduate" were embossed, then embellished with "Sand" and "Raspberry Fizz" Ultrafine Flower Soft. Other items used: Memory Box "Gossamer" designer paper, Hero Arts Pearls, May Arts Satin ribbon, tied with a Bow Easy.



This sample shows just one way to use Ranger Clear Embossing Powder. After stamping and coloring the violets from "The Lord Has Risen", I inked the entire panel with Versamark, coated it with Clear EP, then heated it for a ceramic look. Other items used: Martha Stewart Doily Lace Border punch (corners), Memory Box "Spearmint" designer paper, copper brads, and a paper doily colored with a copper leafing pen (I bet Copper EP would work for this too!)


So, are you more at ease about embossing powder now? If you have some, break it out....let's see what you've got! If not, head over to the Our Daily Bread designs' online store now! All Ranger Embossing Powders are the Super Special Sale item this week, 20% off until Saturday, May 8 at midnight EST. You are gonna love the extra pizazz it adds to your projects!!!

Have fun and let's get embossing!!! Have a very blessed week! See you next time!!



Product Review Writer

3 comments:

Velta said...

What inspiration you have given to me...I have been a long time follower of this blog and I had to comment on this one. I love embossing...but you have brought a whole new world to me with these stunning images. Thank you for sharing!!

marcelle schauer said...

I am so proud of you Angella. Not only are you embossing but you have done a great job teaching us. The cards are woderful!

Grace said...

Great product review Angie!!! All your samples are over the top gorgeous!!! You're so good at teaching techniques!!! Hugs!