Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Time With Chris



Hello everyone! I hope you are having a wonderful week so far! With Tuesday comes another Time With post, and today we are spending time with our uber talented and sweet Challenge Team Coordinator, Chris Olsen! Chris has a really special project to share with us today... so enjoy! Here's Chris!

Hi Everyone!! Have you ever thought that stamps are just for paper projects or cards or gotten in a rut of doing just that. Well today I want to share a creation I made for home decorating. I had an old lamp which looked like this when I began. I love all things victorion or antique. I decided to give it a truly victorion flair and add some embellishing and stamping to it with the gorgeous Randi's Song stamp set from ODBD.


After I completed my project, it looked like this.

I would like to share how I worked step by step to give you my end product.

First after cleaning off the top of the lamp I added some bead trim I found at JoAnn's putting velcro on the back to attach it around the shade.



Since the edging was not very decorative on the top I decided to cover it with some elegant cream and gold trim I had in my stash.
Then I began to emboss the glass globe with the leaf from Randi's Song and gold embossing powder.

(Tip* the best embossing powder to use for this project is either Ranger Gold or Stampendous Gold Embossing powder. I first began with Inkadinkadoo and I found it would not stick.*)

Cling stamps that are unmounted are flexible so I was able to stamp my image without a mounting block on a versamark pad and then stamp on the globe of my lamp. It is best to use two hand holding the stamp with one hand and pressing on all the edges to make sure your entire leaf is on your glass.


After applying the gold powder and before using my heat tool, my leaf looked like this.
Do you notice all the dots around the leaf of embossing powder...take a dry cloth and carefully remove the powder on spots that you do not want it to be gold. Then emboss...


Here is what the leaf looks like on the glass after it is heat embossed.

Continue to scatter leaves around the globe going in different directions without having a specific pattern.
I continued to stamp and emboss until my lamp looked like this:

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and project today. For more creative uses of stamps other than paper projects or cards, you can stop by my blog. I have created another item for my fall decorating...here is a sneak....

blessings,
Chris

Thanks so much Chris! Everything you make blows me away and this one is over the top! Please drop by Chris' blog to see more great inspiration!

Be sure to be back on Nov. 1 for another FANTASTIC Release Blog Hop!!!





DT Coordinator



13 comments:

Lisa Jane said...

what an absolutely fabulous project ! I will rememebr this one ..as i love to do different things
Thanks for sharing
Lisa ;)

dini said...

Cool, Chris! The leaves on the glass remind me of a set of drinking glasses my Mom had when we were growing up. Fun project!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris
WOW WOW WOW
hugs
Sandra (craftynan)

Cook22 said...

How fantastic! I know which one I'd rather have on my table, and it's certainly not the original.

Dawn said...

Wow this is amazing. I can't believe Chris embossed the lamp shade. I never thought about doing embossing on glass.
Wonderful project to share

Holly said...

Great tutorial and a perfectly beautiful lamp!

Mickie said...

Oh Cris, I love it. Now I will be haunting the antique stores for something similiar. LOL

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Chris, girl, this is out of this world!!!! Who would have thought you can stamp on a lamp that has so many curves? Let me tell you, that fringe you've added was great already, but the embossing of the leaves on the shade turned this lamp into a treasure!!! I LOVE it!! Thanks for the tip on which embossing powder to use and your awesome tutorial! Amazing job! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Lori said...

Gorgeous!!!! Thanks for the how to's.

Angella D. Crockett said...

Wow, Chris, I am blown away!!! This lamp is insanely gorgeous!! What a creative mind you have! Blessings, Angie

Miesje said...

WOW Chris! You are so amazingly talented! That is amazing!

Kelley said...

Chris, another stunning project!! This is fantastic!!! Love it!

Conniecrafter said...

such a pretty way to spruce up a lamp, so lovely!