Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Time With... Grace... a Shadowbox Wall Art

Hello friends of Our Daily Bread designs!  As you know, Tuesdays we spend some time with one of our design team members, being inspired by what they have to share.  Well.... today, it's my turn to spend time with you!  I am thrilled to share a project I made with this month's new release and HUGE seller, Randi's Song.

Here is a look at the finished product, but let me tell you a little more about how I made it here, and if you'd like more photos and details, I have written more of a tutorial on my own blog, Th=INK-ing of You!

If you have not read the story of how this set got it's name, please see this post. It will touch your heart! Anyway... on to my project.

I bought two of these shadowbox frames at Tuesday Morning last week and I wish I had gotten more! I had more fun altering it! I began by applying this yummy green flocked dp to the inside of the frame. It's so rich! It and the dp on the outside of the frame are from "Me & My Big Ideas Harvest" 12 x 12 pad. I then painted the sides and all edges of the frame with Adirondack Espresso Paint. Once the paint was dry I adhered the dp to the front of the frame. I used a craft blade to cut out the inside opening. I found the corners first, marked them cut an "X" and then used the blade to follow right along the edge. Once the frame was done, I started to work on all my components.

The first thing I did was make three different designed papers with Adirondack Alcohol Inks. I was inspired by the beautiful job Julie did for our blog hop using alcohol inks and decided to use them for my leaves. So I made three sheets using different combinations of Sunshine Yellow, Meadow, Sunset Orange, Cranberry, and Butterscotch. I used Gold Mixative for all three and then used blending solution, all on glossy card stock. I then stamped the large leaf stamp from Randi's Song, with Stazon Ink and then cut out. I used a fine mister to lightly wet the back of the leaves. I did not scrunch them up like I would on regular card stock because with the glossy coating I didn't want it to separate. Instead, when the paper was wet enough to fold easily, I started just molding it, using the vein lines as center points for most of the folds, then just molded the leaves until I liked the way they looked. I then dried them with my heat tool. They dried very stiff.

I stamped the words to the hymn, "Great is Thy Faithfulness" with Versfine Onyx Black on Papertrey Vintage Cream, cut it with my Spellbinders Classic Square die small and matted with a piece of the alcohol inked paper I had created, then one mat of Bazzill. I used thick foam to pop the whole panel up off the backing of the shadowbox.

Now for the fun part... to arrange the leaves on the frame. I decided to add a few pretty gold  filagree leaves from a Recollections pack (Michaels) as backing for my leaves. I then arranged the leaves and adhered with a hot glue gun. The bow is made of gold sheer May Arts ribbon. I have decided to make several of these as gifts if I can find more of these shadowbox frames! It was a fun project... a little time consuming, but well worth it! I hope you enjoyed my project and that it might inspire you to try something other than a card with your new stamps!

I certainly hope you have enjoyed this project today and  I really would appreciate it if you'd come to my blog to view the tutorial I wrote that goes into a little more detail than I had space for here.  You know... we all love knowing our time spent on these projects is appreciated and helpful to someone. :)  


I hope you have a blessed week and if you live in an area where God has just painted the earth with His incredible palette of color.... I hope you have time to enjoy it and thank Him for all the beauty He created for your enjoyment!





DT Coordinator

11 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

**GASP!!** Oh, Grace, this is so amazing!!!! What a masterpiece you have created here! Thanks so much for sharing with us today....you are one special lady!! Love ya, sister!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a stunning Shadow Box Grace!! I just love your design and details. The dp is perfect to go with your realistic and exquisite leaves!! Awesome "how to" also!
hugs,
Chris

Cook22 said...

What a beautiful project - those beautiful autumn leaves are perfect with the hymn.

Dawn said...

This is just stunning. What a wonderful gift to share with anyone. Love those beautiful leaves, and the sentiment is just perfect.

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Grace, this is a piece of ART, my friend!!! Angie said it right....GASP...that is about I can do when I see this BEAUTY!! You never cease to amaze me!! Hugs, Sabrina

Randi said...

Grace, this is so beautiful! this makes me want to make one. Your leaves are stunning!!

Cassie_lu said...

what s stunning wall art. the details are so perfect

Mickie said...

Oh that is beautiful!!

Beth Norman said...

This is so beautiful. Lots of love went into this. I'm off to see your blog.

Kelley said...

GRACE..Oh my gosh!!! LOVE it!!! So creative..love the details!!!

Conniecrafter said...

Beauiful, the stamping is so pretty and the dimensional leaves look great!