Monday, December 20, 2010

Techniques, Tutorials and Tips - Stamping on Candles! Plus the Super Special Sale!

Are you struggling with last minute gift ideas?! Today I will show you how to make a personalized gift out of some supplies you probably already have in your home. Stay with me as I demonstrate how easy it is to add a stamped image to a candle!!!

You will need the following items for this project:
Pillar Candle.....the size of candle depends on which stamped image you choose;
Wax Paper;
Stamp or stamps of your choice;
White Tissue Paper;
Heat tool;
Scissors;
Stamping ink and coloring medium of your choice;
Scratch paper;
Embellishments optional.



I have chosen the sweet Chickadee stamp and Psalm scripture verse from the ODBD set, "You Will Find Refuge". First thing, cut a piece of white tissue paper larger than your image. Stamp (or emboss) your image or scripture directly to the tissue paper. I chose Stazon permanent ink to make sure that my colors don't bleed. (This is my first attempt at this technique so I am not sure if there would be a bleeding problem or not during the heating process.)


With sharp scissors, cut around your image, fairly closely to the outline. I decided to adhere both the image and scripture simultaneously, so I left some attaching tissue.


Place a piece of scratch paper under your tissue before coloring your image because your markers or coloring medium will most likely leak through to the other side, as shown in this photo.


Tear off a generous piece of wax paper and place under your candle. Place your colored image/tissue onto the candle and line it up where you want it to be. ***A little trial and error note: next time I will definitely separate the scripture from the image and adhere them separately.....I believe it would be less tricky to hold in place one piece at a time.


While holding the image in place, carefully wrap the wax paper tightly around the candle, so that the image does not move. The excess wax paper should be at the back of the candle.....this makes it easy to hold while you heat the image.


Turn on your heat tool and let it heat up for five or ten seconds to make sure it's hot. In a circular or sweeping motion, you want to heat up the surface of the image just enough so that you don't see the tissue outline anymore. The heat tool will allow the tissue to melt into the candle surface, while the wax on the wax-paper acts as a top coat, plus it does not stick to the candle.


***Another trial and error note: Make sure that you have the wax-paper wrapped tightly around the candle before heating......in my photo below, you can see some "ripples" in the paper. Upon heating, those "ripples" became little dents that I had to heat and smooth out. Otherwise, this was a very quick and simple project! I can't wait to do it again!!!


Once you've finished heating your image, you can use the wax-paper to buff out any loose wax pieces or small imperfections in the candle. I decorated the bottom of my candle with May Arts Crocheted lace and velvet ribbon which was tied with a Bow Easy. You could also decorate with designer paper or gemstones/pearls.....or with nothing at all!!! And depending on the size of the candle, you could add another image (or two) to the other side! Really, the possibilities are endless!


Need another great gift idea? How about an Our Daily Bread designs Gift Certificate? Available in many different demoninations, they make the perfect gift for the stamper on your list. Gift Certificates can be mailed or emailed to the buyer or the recipient! Just type that information in the comment area, or just email Kelley at kelley@ourdailybreaddesigns.com and tell her how you would like to send your Gift Certificate!!

Even better is all the Gift Certificates are the Super Special Sale items this week! Just choose the Gift Certificate you would like to purchase and the 10% price will reflect in the shopping cart!! The recipient will still receive the full priced Gift Certificate!

It is that easy! So great for last minute gifts! This special will expire December 24th at Midnight!

Have a blessed week!!


14 comments:

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Just gorgeous what an absolutely brilliant idea! Love it, especially notes to self! I do that all the time!God's blessings to you all over there, Shaz in Oz.x

Patter Cross said...

Awesome tutorial Angie!!!! And your candle turned out beautiful! Love it! Blessings,

Scrappin' Sista said...

I have wondered about this technique. Thanks so much for the tutorial. It is very clear. I love the scripture and the bird.
TFS!

Christel
onescrappinsista.blogspot.com
christel(at)majesticdesigns(dot)net

Beth Norman said...

Fabulous tutorial. Your choice of stamps are perfect. TFS.

Grace said...

Great post Angie dear! Your candle came out great and I know this will give lots of people gift ideas that can be done in a hurry!!!

Pati said...

Very nice!! I have not tried this technique yet. I don't remember others mentioning using wax paper but I really like how you did. It makes sense to use it and not just to keep your hands out of the way when holding the image. : ) Thanks so much for sharing this!

Lori said...

Thank you! This is soooo BEAUTIFUL! Got get me some candles : )
Love and hugs ~ Lori

Dawn said...

Beautifully done Angie!!

Jean said...

Beautiful candle. I have used this technique for candles used at a wedding reception with great success. Thye look awesome in hurricane globes and you can take an inexpensive candele and create something unique and expensive looking.

Mrs.Debbie said...

OMG I love your stamps I have got to get some. I'm so glad I found you ladies. Wish I found you before Christmas. Do you ever do hop or give aways to be able to win them. Cause I don not have your stamps YET!! Tfs

Hugs Debbie

Janeen said...

what a beautiful project and well written. thank you

Sharon Steinwand said...

Your candle looks lovely! A hint I have for you (trial and error learned) is to wear a glove on the hand holding the wax paper - especially when doing a large image or a small candle! Saved me some hopping and "ow ow" time!
Keep up the nice work!

Benzi said...

Oh my, this candle is outstanding! Wonderful tutorial...thanks!

alienanessa said...

Holy smokes, I tried this as gifts for Christmas, but since I didn't know (hadn't been in here to see this genius tutorial) or didn't realize that I should wrap the thing in wax paper THEN heat, the two candles made me look totally amateurish!! This makes sense now, so thanks to you, I'll have courage to try another!!! <3