Thursday, January 20, 2011

Time with Chris - Magnets and a Box!



Hello everyone! Welcome to another Time With Post... today we are going to be treated to a SUPER pretty project complete with tutorial by our talented and sweet Chris Olsen! If you have not ordered these butterfly stamps by now.... I guarantee you will want to after you see this!!! Here's Chris:

Hi Everyone!! I am so excited with this months new release since I just love butterflies!! Since I home school my girls, I have a very full side of my refrigerator with all the papers and art projects to display. Rather than use all the mismatched magnets I currently use, I decided it was time to make it more fun and coordinated. I used the Butterfly stamp, butterfly die, and some magnet paper to create butterfly magnets. I made over 20 of them but for this post, I am just showing you a few. Without the die this would have been tedious cutting but the die made it so simple!!!




I also created a box to put all these magnets in so when they are not in use, I have storage. I decorated the top with the verse from Faith and the images from the Butterfly Corner. The butterfly is cut out with the butterfly die.





This is how I created my box to hold my butterfly magnets (please know there may be other tutorials out in blogland, however, this is how I created this box):

Supplies:


One 6 1/2 by 12 inch piece of cardstock for a 4 1/2 square inch box
  • Fiscars cutting tool with scoring blade or other scoring tool
  • Scissors
  • Scor-tape
  • 4 1/2 inch decorated top (decorated the way you like)- I used the Butterfly corner and Faith stampsets from ODBD
  • embellishments
Directions
1. Cut a 12x12" piece of cardstock to 6 1/2 by 12 "


















2. Place scoring blade in cutter and score a line 1 inch from each edge going lengthwise.


















3. Turn cardstock (width wise) and score at 1", 5 1/2", 6 1/2", and 11"




























4.Using the scored lines along the 12 inch edge cut flaps with scissors like pictured. Cut from outer edge to perpendicular scored line.












5. Adhere flaps to create bottom of box.





















6. Adhere flaps for the top of the box.












































7. Decorate top of the box and add embellishing.


















I hope you have enjoyed my creations!! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!

blessings,
Chris

Is that not gorgeous?!!? I am in love with this idea and I hope it has inspired you to make some magnets and give this box a try too! Pop on over to Chris' Blog to see all the other gorgeous things she's been up to!

Thanks for spending time with us today, and I hope to see you entering our ongoing challenges: Shining the Light, Let Your Light Shine Scrapbook Challenge, and Stamping in Time with Betty!

DT Coordinator


21 comments:

Jessica said...

This is beautiful, what a great project.

Cook22 said...

Beautiful project.

Nicki-twinklebug said...

Beautiful!I love this!Gorgeous coloring and the colors are beautiful!
Nicki

Becky said...

This is just stunning! I just love these butterflies.

Maggie's Crafts said...

Fab tutorial and love the butterflies. :)

Maggie
xx

Connie M. said...

This is just stunning Chris! Love the fun bright colors on your beautiful butterflies!!

Stamp like you mean it said...

Oh my word Chris!!! Incredibly beautiful. You are such an amazing artist, I love this! Hugs.....

Grace said...

Chris you already know how much I love this... but had to add my two cents here so you'd be sure to take it to heart how beautiful these magnets are and the box is fabulous! You know I think you are amazing gf!

Angella D. Crockett said...

What a fabulous idea and super gorgeous end result! Such an awesome gift idea! Beautiful work, my dear!! Big hugs and much love, Angie

Francie G. said...

What a gorgeous project, Chris! Love the idea of all those beautiful magnets. Mine are all mismatched also. This would make a fabulous gift. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Chris, girl, this is over the top and BACK!!!! WOW, such a beautiful gift idea and your coloring on those butterflies....oh my word!!! I love the fact that you made the box to store them as well and it sure is a piece of ART on it's own!! You truly have outdone yourself on this one!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Sandee said...

Chris this is such a gorgeous project! Your hard work and attention to details as well a an incredible tutorial are much loved and appreciated! This is beautiful!!!

Randi said...

Chris, what an outstanding creation!! Thanks so much for the tutorial on the box. Your boxes always inspire me.

Patter Cross said...

So beautiful Chris! Love all of the colors of those butterflies! Gorgeous!

Dawn said...

Chris, what a fabulous idea and project! I'd love to see my frig covered in butterflies! thanks for the inspiration!

Conniecrafter said...

Lovely box and your magnets are so sweet!

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome project! I really like the colors and the idea of the box to store them..a great gift idea also for a butterfly lover! Thanks for sharing Chris
Diana

Lori said...

I agree with Grace, this is a gorgeous project. Great inspiration Chris, thanks!

Natalie said...

The box and the butterfly magnets are a wonderful project, thanks so much for the inspiration. They are beautiful!!

mom3 said...

Chris, this is a delightful box, worth the effort you have put into it. What a lovely teacher gift, or any occasion. Your butterflies are beautiful

Lorelie Kim said...

A stunning project, Chris!! All the love and effort you put into this really shows!! Love how VIBRANT it is!!