Thursday, January 6, 2011

Time With Grace - An Altered Tissue Box!

Tissue-Box-corners-1

Hello everyone!  
This month you will see we've changed things up a bit at Our Daily Bread designs!  You have most likely already noticed that we now have a Scrapbook team and monthly challenge!  We're excited to be sharing ideas with you on how you can use your Our Daily Bread designs stamps to make some AWESOME scrapbook pages or faith journaling!  Patter Cross and Chris Dickinson are going to challenge and inspire you each week on Tuesdays with projects they make using the month's challenge, and of course, there will be awesome prizes so please join in on Tuesdays with our Let Your Light Shine Scrapbook Team!

You will also find that our regular "Time With" posts where we spend some time with  one of our talented Design Team members has been moved.  We will be posting  on alternate Thursdays (opposite of Betty's "Stamping In Time" Challenge).  Instead of just sharing cards, we are going to share more stepped up projects with you!  We will be sharing instructions on how to make our project and giving you more details.  We hope this new spot will be helpful to wet your appetite for some special projects you might want to start as well! 

So it's a New Year... and lots of new things happening at Our Daily Bread designs... we hope you'll come along with us on this journey!  

For today... it's my turn to share a project I have been working on.  I bought this lovely acrylic tissue box from Hobby Lobby.  It retails for $9.99 but with the 40% off coupon you can get it for only $6.00.  It is sturdy and really a beautiful design.  There are so many possibilities for it!  I originally was going to make a 4 seasons box, using one season for each side, but decided to make all 4 sides for one season and change the entire box up every season.  It's as easy as making 4 cards!  

Here is what you actually get when you buy the box.


There are 3 parts to the box.  The basic box (left rear), an insert which will hold your pictures in place (front center) and an outer box (top right) which slides down over the top after you have inserted your tissue box.  It  frames each side and has the tissue cut out in the top.  I hope that explains it OK.  The box comes with pictures and templates for each side, because they are not equal.  Two sides are larger because the acrylic wall comes to the edge, and the two narrower sides just but up to the first two sides.  So be sure to use the paper inserts as your template for the size you make each insert.


This is how it looks assembled but with no inserts.


First, you will want to make an insert for the top of the tissue box so you won't be looking at the cardboard tissue box, but a pretty coordinating paper.  To do this I simply took the top of the box, laid it on my card stock and drew the pattern. I then found an oval Spellbinders die that fit that cut out about perfectly, centered that  and cut it out.


I matted mine with some Martha Stewart card stock and then used pretty pink patterened paper from the Memory Box Gossamer 6 x 6 pack. 

This is how it looks in the box:


Next I used my template sizes to create my four  sides.

tissue-box-final-four

For the top left panel above, I used an all time favorite, "Sing to the Lord" for my bird and flower images.  For my verse I used "You Will Find Refuge".  This is a favorite Scripture of mine!  I can't tell you how many times this verse comes to my mind when life's storms seem to surround and encompass me!  The designer paper is Memory Box,  the card stock is Martha Stewart.  I colored with Copics: R81, R83, R85, R000, RV10. E15, E35, E37, E31, W3, W5, G40. G82.  I also highlighted with Spica Clear and Yellow Glitter Pens.  I used a Martha Stewart Lattice Punch and cut some extra flower images out to weave into the lattice.

For the top right panel  I used the Fuchsia images from both "From Me To You" and "God Loves You" sets, stamping on pure white and stamping an extra image for cutting out and popping up.  I colored my image with Copics: RV06, RV09, RV11, RV17, RV19, V15, V17, G20, G21, YG67, G24.  I used the same purple cs as my mat for the panel, and I used this wonderful Lamentations 3:21-13 Scripture from the "Scripture Collection 1" set for my focal point.  This is one of my favorite Scriptures and I wanted to see this every morning as a reminder of God's Faithfulness and His great mercies to me... and how they are new every morning!  I stamped this verse directly on the Memory Box Gossamer designer paper and cut with Spellbinders Classic Squares.  I matted in black using Spellbinders Lacey Squares. 

For the bottom left panel, I used this month's release "Butterfly Corner" and a sentiment from the "Faith" set, as well as the "Small Butterfly Background" stamp. I colored the Butterfly corner design with Copics (Y13, Y15, Y17, V09, V15, V17).  Next I lightly airbrushed the background using V000, V12, B00 and Y11.   I then made a mask of the corner and stamped the Small Butterfly Background with VersaColor White.  I lightly brushed the design with yellow and green Pearlescent Chalks by Pebbles.  I then spritzed the entire thing with Pearl Glimmer Mist.  Wish you could see the shimmer!  This "set" the chalks as well.  I stamped my sentiment and cut it out with Spellbinders Label 10, matted with my purple cs (EK Success Purple Helliotrop) and matted the whole panel in the same purple.

For the bottom right panel I used this month's release "Faith" for both my verse and my butterflies.  I stamped the butterfly design twice, colored with Copics (Y13, Y15, Y17, G20, G82, E35, E37, E15, V04, V06, V12).  I fussy cut the butterflies out so that I could lace them into my Spellbinder's Lattice Pendant cut out, which I had sponged with VersaMagic Purple Hydrangea.  I adhered everything to the same designer paper and matted with the same purple cs.


The assembly of the tissue box is very straight forward.  You insert each side panel into the basic box, and slide the inner frame inside the basic box, forming a sealed window for each side panel.


Finally,  you insert a tissue box, and then slide the outer frame over top of the whole thing and you have a beautiful gift or something you can keep and enjoy yourself! 


Tissue-Box-singfaithsidenew

Think of the possibilities!  I have already started the panels for a Winter Tissue Box Cover, and have plans for a fall one as well!  I hope you get to try one for yourself and have fun with it!  For more detailed pictures of each finished side and step by step instructions,  please visit my blog, Th-INK-ing of You, and thank you for spending time with me today!  We will be back in 2 weeks with another great project from the talented and sweet Chris Olsen!  Don't miss it!  

Blessings,





DT Coordinator

19 comments:

Mickie said...

Oh Grace, this is just precious. Of course your coloring is exquisite as always and with the verses on the sides, it gives anyone with the siffles an opportunity to read God's word.

Sandee said...

Grace this is fantastic! Now I need to go shopping and find one of those tissue boxes!!!! Beautiful!!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

I left a comment for you on your blog but I just had to come here and tell you also what a stunning masterpiece this is. What a lot of work and such a wonderful gift idea!! Your images are colored and cut out to perfection and it so masterfully coordinated and put together. You are amazing my friend!!
hugs,
Chris

Weezie13 said...

I'm running to Hobby Lobby right nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....
That box is B~E~A~U~T~I~F~U~L!!!!!

(I already save my cardboadrd Kleenex boxes for projects, but this is really a cute idea!!!)

I hope they have some there....

Ted said...

Grace, this makes such a beautiful gift! Thanks for sharing! :)

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Grace, oh my goodness, this is so beautiful!!! Who knew they made tissue boxes like that? I've seen the picture cubes, but never a tissue box. Now I wish we had a HL here. This is truly a piece of ART and such an amazing way of displaying God's word!! WOW, what an amazing gift this would make. You've got my wheels spinning now. Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Lin said...

Beautifully done - I love every single one of your panels!

Becky said...

Grace this is fabulous! Love it. You are so creative. :)

Angella D. Crockett said...

Wow, Grace, what an amazing project! I'll be on the lookout for one of these boxes too!!! Your coloring, papers, and scriptures are just gorgeous!! You go, girl!!!! Blessings, Angie

Patter Cross said...

Grace, this just turned out stunning! LOVE each panel. So gorgeous, and what a beautiful piece for a home! Blessings,

Beth Norman said...

Wowza, what an outstanding job on this project. Bravo.

Kelley said...

Wow, I think I need to make one of these for the booth!! You did a really beautiful job on it!

Lori said...

Thank you for posting this Grace! Beautiful stamping, coloring and embellishing. I started a tissue box holder following written directions and this might be a little easier to use. :-)

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

oooh! how very lovely indeed.
I love each of the panels of your design too!
Great lateral thinking that brings out new patterns and uses for things.
How great to have the Word of God in the home this way and you can just just change the position every few days to get a different verse to meditate upon, I have put my first order into Our Daily Bread about two weeks ago and cant wait for it to arrive,
Shaz in Oz.x

Jean said...

This would be such a lovely gift for a shut in. So pretty.

Dawn said...

Fabulous Grace!! it's just beautiful!

Mrs.Debbie said...

OMG I love this tiuse box so pretty ths

Hugs Debbie

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow that is so pretty, just love what you have done with the panels. so neat that you can change it out for the seasons, I am going to have to check out my Hobby Lobby for sure, thanks for sharing!

Sherry said...

Beautiful!! What department did you get it in. i went looking for one but nobody at this Hobby Lobby knew what I was talking about!