Friday, March 18, 2011

Behind the scenes at ODBD......

I hope you have been enjoying our Anniversary week so far and that you like our new Design Team Scripture stamp sets! Make sure to participate in the Blog Hop so you can win some FREE STAMPS!! Everybody loves FREE, right?  LOL!

It was thought by the team that our customers may enjoy seeing some of the "behind the scenes" work that goes on around here so today I present to you a "photo story" of what we do!

First off, this is the ODBD barn, or "factory" as Josh calls it. When ODBD first started it was in my daughter, Summer's, old bedroom, then it moved into another bedroom, then into a great room area,  and then finally into my husband's 25x40, 2 story barn!

This is Diane, my main artist, and Nick. They do a variety of jobs from mounting rubber onto cushion, cutting the rubber on the scrollsaw in the background of the photo, counting inventory, putting together boxes, filling customer orders and assembling the stamp sets.
This is usally what Nick usually looks like, always messings around..LOL!! I have never met a guy who talks as much as him!
Here we have Josh printing out the morning orders and putting his signature thank you's and smiley faces on the customer receipts. Josh is also in charge of inventory, customer service, shipping, cutting rubber, picking up and delivery of merchandise, cart construction...and anything else you can imagine an Operations/Plant Manager would do!
Josh fills the order over in the shipping area.
Josh is using our new industrial strength paper cutter to cut the package inserts after I have printed them out. You can slice a phone book in half in 2 seconds with this baby! It is so sharp I need to keep Nick and Diane away from it, just to be safe...LOL! I have sliced a couple fingers already on it!


One of our shelving units where we store the sets before they are packaged.


This is a one row of shelves that hold the completed stamp sets, arranged in order of plate number.


Dan, our UPS man delivered our Spellbinders order! Woo hoo!

When not at a show, the carts are opened up and used for more inventory storage.
This is Murphy, my granddog, who likes to lay at my feet while I work on the computer.

This year, we will be traveling to about 25 stamp/scrapbook shows and here is a photo of the truck and 20' trailer we use to haul our "mobile store". We close up the carts, roll them into the trailer and secure them with straps so they don't move around. The trailer is jammed pack pretty full by the time we leave! Shows can be anywhere from 2 to 12 hours away. Rick usually drives, but if he has to travel for his job, than Josh will drive to the show.  I have NEVER driven the truck/trailer and never plan to..LOL!
After we find our booth location, we roll all the carts over, open them up, take off the clips used to hold the merchandise in place, raise the boards and put up the card display boards.  Rick and Josh will put up all the lights and hook up the electricity for the lights and the cash register.

The guys will hang up our banner and I start putting up the drapes around the back of the booth. I then set up the cash regsiter cart, set out the make and take table items and usually fill extra stock into the carts.  In reality, it still can take us 4-6 hours to set up.
We have one whole cart dedicated to the Flower Soft products and only a half is shown here. The next photo is the Tattered Angels and paper pads areas. 

Rick and Josh like to joke around with all the customers!

My wonderful husband of almost 29 years, Rick, working the register.

Josh just chilling out before the show opens up. 

I have been SO BLESSED to have some of my Design Team girls (known as the Breadsticks) come to the shows to help out with demos and make and takes.

My buddy Randi Barrett, from Michigan, comes to LOTS of shows and I am sure many of you have met her. Please pray for Randi and she is undergoing chemotherapy for her liver cancer and cannot do the shows again until she is better! I miss her!!! We were at this show in New York, where Debi Southard lives, who came to have fun with us!

Fran Gumprecht, of Ohio, is demoing the new dies and embossing plates to an interested customer!
My crazy Hoosier friend Angie Crockett, from Indiana, attends many shows with us and is truly the Queen of Flower Soft creations! You must see all her Flower Soft Product Reviews!! They are the coolest!!!
Dawn Lusk, of Ohio also, helped demo the dies in Cincinatti and will be helping us out in Columbus next weekend! You can even meet a celebrity at a stamp show like Tim Holtz!


Fran, Me (Kelley),Dawn and Angie!

At the Georgia show last month I was able to finally meet up with Julie Warner and Sandee Shanabrough, who were a huge help at that show! They both taught Rick a new phrase.."well bless your little heart" and he has been saying it ever since...LOL!!!
Grace Nywening, who is also my Design Team Coordinator, is from North Carolina and her awesome husband, Al, drove her to South Carolina to help us out last fall!
Now this is an older photo but I just had to include my little friend Lorelie Kim, (before her new cool haircut) who flew all the way in from California to help us at the Akron, Ohio show, along with my friend Jane Wetzel, who lives in my town!

One person whom I have never met, but who has designed a lot of sets for ODBD is Dina Kowal, a graphic artist and awesome cardmaker and coloring artist, who along with her husband and 4 children,  live in Indonesia and are working cross-culturally, and training nationals to reach out their own people. Dina does excellent graphic sets for ODBD, many that have her own signature collagey style.


In case you were wondering what I did..LOL....I choose the stamp set themes
and direct my artists for the images I need.  I purchase the commercial fonts and do almost all the font work for the stamp sets.  I order and purchase the rubber sheets, dies, embossing plates, printer paper, labels and inventory (Flower Soft, Tattered Angels, Spellbinders, Prima, BasicGrey, SEI, BoBunny, Bow-Easy, etc.) for the store and show items. I do the bookkeeping and organize the release of the stamp sets and our show schedule. I help with all the invoicing, packing and shipping of orders. I  help with the packing and unpacking and stocking of the show carts. I answer emails and phone call inquiries from customers and wholesalers. I help Rick with travel arrangements for the shows we do. It fills my days.....

God has truly blessed me. I have the love and support of my best friend and husband, Rick, who is my biggest fan. I have Josh, my Operations/Plant Manager and right-hand man who helps do it ALL.  I just thank God so much for His guidance and watching over me, through the selection and design of the stamp sets that glorify Him, to the ladies on the Design Team, who He has helped me carefully choose for the team.

I thank all of you....my friends, customers and blog readers, who daily bless my day with comments and encouraging emails that help me to continue on my journey!



60 comments:

Cook22 said...

Wow, that was a fascinating read, Kelley - thank you so much for taking the time to share so much about ODBD with us. Having worked in distribution of fine-art supplies I'm familiar with some of the demands of a growing small business - with a willing team it's so much easier. I was interested too to see how you cut the rubber - one of the things I really love about the ODBD stamps is how well and how closely they are trimmed.

Laurie said...

Morning, Kelley: Thanks for showing us ODBD's process for getting your wonderful products to us. It's great to see how it's all put together, and the icing on the cake is you giving all the glory to God! May He continue to bless you, Rick, Josh, Diane, & Nick.

Beth Norman said...

I'm late in reading my blog subscriptions so I'm sorry I'm just reading this now.

What an informative post. I read every single word, inhaling all the cool information.

TFS so many photos.

This is a post that would be cool to have once a year. But that might be too much for you because it takes so much time.

Karen W said...

It was so much fun to see everyone, great blog post!!! I love the fact that I don't have to cut and mount the stamps!!!!

Angella D. Crockett said...

Awesome post, Kel!!! You guys are THE BEST!!! I am so blessed to be a part of this company! Can't wait to visit "the factory"....hopefully soon!!! Love ya bunches!!! .38

Patter Cross said...

LOVE seeing all of the amazing photos of my precious team members and amazing boss! :) :) You all are a blessing to me, and I know you are to so many others also! Yeah ODBD, and congrats on 3 years! Kelley, may God continue to bless you and ODBD!

Amy said...

Wow! Thanks for the insight on what it takes to run a successful business! It looks like y'all have so much fun and care so much about each other and the work you do. If I ever went to a show where you were, I'd come home broke! I can be more restrained online LOL!

Tami B. said...

Do you have a schedule posted anywhere of where (what shows)you will be?

Tami B. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Grace said...

Happy and Blessed Anniversary Kelley! What an awesome post! I know this took a lot of time in the middle of a busy week but it is so cool to see the full scope of the operations!!! I count myself truly blessed to be a part of what God is doing through you and your company!!! I know His Word never returns to Him void, so every time we use a Scripture we know it touches someone at their point of need! May He continue to richly bless you and this company and may He continue to be honored and glorified by all you do!
hugs,
Grace

To answer Tami's question...Yes... go to the Store site and look at the very top line... see Shows and click there to see the upcoming schedule!

Silke Ledlow said...

Oh...this is so cool Kelley! Thank you for sharing and *Happy Anniversary* to you all! Hugs ~S~

Debi said...

Kelley thank you so much for this fabulous post! Love all the pictures and details about the business. Happy Anniversary and thank you so much for doing what your doing. Hugs to the whole crew!

Saints Rule! said...

Happy anniversary Kelley! It is wonderful to have such beautiful images to share with others! ODBD stamps are the best around! I have enjoyed my time working with you guys! Thanks for the inside tour. It is truly neat to see how God equips us with just what we need at the right time. Here's to 30 more!

Carmen said...

It's so interesting to see behind the scenes, and actually put a face to the people we talk to or email with. Also nice to see the graphic artists!

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Oh my goodness, what an awesome post, Kelley!! So cool to see you all in action and how much work goes into everything behind the scenes!! It is such a blessing to be part of this wonderful company and being able to spread the word of God just a little more! Thanks for allowing me to part of it and I pray that GOD blesses you with many more successful years in business! Thanks for all you do, Kelley!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Sherry Kushibab said...

Good call on sharing like this - so nice to have a visual of all that goes into all the lovely stamps we order and visit in blogland. I think you captured the heart of what is done and the joy of everyone who is a part of the team. You are blessed because you took a step out in faith to put help make the Word available, and what a great job you have done.n Looking forward to seeing you and shopping in June at Collinsville.

Sparkly Engineer said...

Thank you so much for sharing the background story. I found it fascinating. Your stamp sets are a blessing. I found your stamps sets through Becca Finkenstein and they have helped to bring God to the forefront in my life. They help me to share God with others too. Thank you

Becky said...

Wow, this was fascinating! God is so good. Thanks for sharing.

Francie G. said...

Happy Anniversary, Kelley! This is a fabulous post. So interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes. Your barn setting is just beautiful!Love the "granddog team mascot"! Thanks for taking the time to do this! You, your staff and ODBD are such a blessing. I am so privilaged and blessed to be on your team. Hugs! F2

Rona said...

Thank you so much for showing us a little peek inside!! I would love to attend a show!! I will be watching for you!!

Kelly Sas said...

This was a really through look behind the scenes of your company Kelley. You are truly blessed with so many gifts from the Lord and I can tell you are also appreciative of all he has given you. Thank you for working so hard to give us Christians stamps with His word!

NancyD said...

Kelley, it is so wonderful to see and read what it is like in the barn. Looks like you have a great operation and a well functioning team. As a business owner myself I know how important it is to have a great team! If you ever come to the west coast please let me know - I would love to help (I've worked shows before on behalf of a Christian camp) and taught card making at my local stamp stores. Congratulations on making it in business 3 years! To God be the continuing Glory!!

Mary Jo Stewart said...

What a great post! It is nice to see just how things get designed and end up in my home! I am looking forward to seeing you next month in Akron. Will any of your design team be there?

Dawn said...

A wonderful Anniversary-Behind-the-Scenes post!! Thank YOU for all you do... Rick, Josh, Nick, Diane too!! {{{HUGS}}}

Ann said...

Happy Anniversary,Kelley! As many others have said, "WOW!" Look what God has done through you all in only three years! I dearly love your stamps and it is so great to see all the "Behind the scenes" pictures and info. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with us! May God continue to bless each of you and ODBD! Blessings, Ann

Betty said...

How fun to see you all at work. Everyone looks as if they love what they do. That's what happens when you work in a Christian atmosphere. thanks for sharing

Angel said...

That is a very cool post on the business side which we all take for granted. There is a lot of blood, sweat and tears in your business! I feel so blessed to have been there for part of your journey! Bless your little heart! Love ya, girl!

Mrs Ham said...

Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes with us. When are you coming back to Georgia.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What an awesome post Kelley!! I so enjoyed reading and seeing all the photos!! You wrote everything beautifully!! I am so blessed to be a part of the ODBD team and how God is using this store for His Glory!! Happy 3rd Anniversary Kelley!!

hugs,
Chris

Margie said...

Kelly, thank you for sharing your story, I really enjoyed reading the behind the scenes. I just want to to take the opportunity to say thank you. Since finding ODBD about a year ago, has really encouraged me in the process of card making--Thank You!

Dawnll said...

Excellent Kelley,
Love seeing all the members and set up.
I know I am always excited to see the displays at a show.

n1accord said...

LOVED your booth at CK Louisville. ODB is my favorite stamp company so, it is really cool to see the people behind the product. Your products are such great quality and I use them over and over. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Cindy Johnson

Jessica said...

Wow, I had no idea there was so much involved in the running and maintaining your business. Thanks for this post, it was very interesting. I haven't been able to buy any of your stamp sets as I live on a fixed income. But you are definately on my list. I love the scriptures. I guess we too often use stamps that don't tell of Gods love and glory. We should all be more mindful of his blessings. Well, at least I should! Thanks to you all for all you do!

Connie M. said...

Oh Kelley! What an amazing post! So fun to see everything you all do! LOVE all the pictures! Hmmmm makes me want to go to Ohio REALLY bad! :)

Lori said...

This was a really fun tour! Thanks for sharing all of this. Except...I thought you were the artist. Funny how we assume things, one never should, you know what they say.

Chrysalis said...

Oh Kelley - what a great set-up. Looks like you all have a ball, although I'm sure it's very hard work. Keep it up, girl! xx

Jan said...

Thanks for sharing a "Behind the Scenes" look at Our Daily Bread Designs and Happy Third Anniversary. I'm so thankful the Lord put it on your heart to start this company. You all are such a huge blessing and encouragement! Your products are high quality and so honoring to the Lord. . .love all of the personal touches and know I "know" the persons who are touching! :D Blessings to each and every one at ODBD!

Paper Fun said...

Thanks for sharing your warehouse and road trips. It's always nice to see the people who are behind the scenes.

Sandee said...

Hi Kelley!!! Bless your little heart! :) I loved reading every word of this post, so fun seeing the barn and all the day to day things that go on! I feel so blessed to be a part of this team! Congrats on your third anniversary and may you have many many more!!! Love ya!

Designing with Debbie said...

WOW totally amazing. keep up the hard work

pacefulgardens said...

Kelly, thank you so much for allowing me to see the behind the scenes activity of ODBD. It's great to see pictures of everyone and to see all the activity put into our stamp orders. Thank you for the opportunity to purchase these beautiful scripture stamps. Some of them just melt my heart. God's love to you and your family.

Becca Feeken said...

Kelley, what a magnificent post!! Happy ODBD Anniversary, and many more!! We're all so proud and so blessed to be a part of it all!!

cdjcape521 said...

TFS, that was such a wonderful story!
Cheri

Chrisd said...

Happy Anniversary. It was so nice to see everyone on the team. I can't wait to meet you at a show this year.

Sonia said...

It is so neat to see your operation and to think that it is all performed by about 3 people- WOW!!! Just seeing the stamps stacked up make me want to grab everything and stamp away! I am thankful that you are able to not only do something you obviously love, but that you are able to share it with us. May God continue to bless you in all your endeavors. I am looking forward to seeing more wonderful products- I love having difficulty deciding which stamp set to buy next-LOL!

Ree Donnelly said...

Kelley, this was such fun to see! I am glad to see what goes on behind the scenes! Now I can picture the goings on when I receive my orders! :~)
Now I know whom to thank for seeing that I placed two orders a couple of days apart, and very nicely combined them to save shipping for me...thank you!!! Makes me wish I lived near you so I could work there, LOL!

Chrissy D said...

This is such a GREAT post, Kelley! I love that you share the behind the scenes look! What a blessing for you to have such wonderful friends and staff. Best wishes in your future endeavors and goals! May the LORD continue to richly bless you!

Queen Mary said...

Kelly, how great to see everyone behind the scenes! It's really kinda cool for me - big city, big company (not mine, I'm a drone) - oh to work in a barn in my jeans! If you come to GASC in Chantilly, VA and need a volunteer, I'll be there!

AlpacaRose said...

Kelley - Thank you so much for introducing us to the ODB family. It made me cry!I've already received several orders from The Barn since I was introduced to you about 6 weeks ago. "knowing" the people who made it happen is very special. I love your products and your blog. I pray God continues to bless you and your work.

Traci S. said...

Thank you so much, Kelley! It is really so exciting to see what and who everyone is and what they do! I was wondering if you ever did shows here in FL? We are part of the Bible belt, too...and I know your products would take off like crazy! I love how you introduced us to everyone and gave us a new photo of your precious dog!Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to put this together for us to read, and see. I love what your company does. Your stamps make sharing the Word of God so much easier, and your stamps are incredible! I also love to get my other supplies here.
Thank you for sharing so much of yourself, and your love of God with so many of us, in this special way! May God Bless You and All of Yours...family, designers, "barn people," dog...everyone!

He IS Able,
Traci S.

Linda said...

Kelley,
You are coming to my neck of the woods, Allentown, PA, April (8)9-10 of this year. If you need another pair of hands, please let me know. I will be happy to help you.
Linda

mom3 said...

What a great look into who you are and are becoming through the guidance of our precious Lord! Thanks for the behind the pretties!

Becky said...

Thanks Kelly for a look behind the scene. God is so good.

Anonymous said...

It was so much fun ibcbet to see everyone, great blog post!!! I love ibc the fact that I don't have to cut and mount the stamps!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelley:

Happy 4th anniversary. Thank you for the "Behind the Scenes" article. I really enjoyed reading the post. Kelley, Rick and Josh, you are all such a joy. Sheri and I always look forward to seeing you at the shows. You are truly an inspiration, and I have told you many times that you have the best "breadsticks" around. Your design team is the best. Congratulations on 4 years, and I pray that I get to see you, Rick and Josh at many more shows. Thank you for all your prayers. Sheri is doing well thanks to all the prayers. She went back to work this week, parttime.

Hugs,
Margie

Unknown said...

It was really great to meet all of you. I will look for you all at the Akron, Ohio convention. Thankyou for all your hard work.

Pat

Caitiumom said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Thank you for these stamps as an opportunity to share God's Word with others via cards and scraping. I was never interested in stamping until I ran across your site. I am so thankful your designers and your committment of all who work with you. I love getting Josh's smiley faces on my orders.

Joanie said...

What an awesome testimony. May the Lord continue to bless your efforts. Please have a show in Washington sometime! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelley: I'm back. Thank you for the tour of the "factory." It was interesting to see how ODBD functions. Thank you for starting ODBD. You are my favorite stamping vendor. The picture of your granddog is so adorable. Hugs to all of you.

I just completed the Anniversary hop. I left a comment on all bread sticks except Suzanne and Francie. Their blog wouldn't take my comment because I don't have a Google account or Open ID. Their cards were lovely, but I couldn't tell them that. Happy 4th Anniversary. Looking forward to seeing you in Cinn. or Novi.

God Bless,
Margie F.

Tracy said...

Here I am at your 8th Anniversary. I am a newish papercrafter, only 2 years into it now and am enjoying reading about your business. Thank you so much for sharing!