Monday, May 23, 2011

Techniques, Tutorials, and Tips - Center Step Card

Happy Monday, everyone!!! Time for another fun card technique! You asked for it....you got it....a tutorial on the Center Step Technique! You are going to love this.....not only is it super easy and super fast, but the recipients of your cards will think you are a genius!!!! :)

Supplies needed:
Paper trimmer (or craft knife and ruler)
Scor-pal, Scor-buddy, or any scoring tool
Cardstock
Embellishments of choice


Before I start, I would like to explain that the size of your Center Step Card may vary according to your needs. My suggestion is to choose what your center panel will look like and figure out what the width of the panel will work best. Then you can adjust the size of the side panels. With smaller side panels, the center panel will be larger and vice versa. For me, this side to side adjustment was simple, but I decided to leave the height alone, however, with careful planning, this could also vary. Here are two different versions.....I used the top diagram for my sample below.


Step one:
Place your 5-1/2 x 11 piece of cardstock vertically into your paper trimmer. For my sample, I lined up the cardstock at the 1-1/2 inch line. Make a cut from 1" to 6-1/2".




Step two:
Flip cardstock over and make a matching cut from step one.




Step Three:
Using your Scor-pal, Scor-buddy, score on the outer edge of the cuts at the 1", 2", and 6-1/2" mark.




Step Four:
Instead of turning the cardstock around to score the other side, I used a square/straight edge to help me line up with the scoring lines. For me, this was faster and easier than figuring the measurements in my head.




Step Five:
Score the center section only, between the two cut lines, at the 5-1/2" mark.....using the square/straight edge again was very helpful here. I lined up the top corner with the scoring notch on the Scor-pal, which helped the scoring tool fit into the groove underneath the cardstock perfectly.




Step Six:
Once I made the initial scoring line at the 5-1/2 mark, I removed the straight edge and fine tuned the scoring line more closely to the edges of the cut line.




Step Seven:
Carefully fold your card as shown below. The bottom fold is a valley fold and the rest are mountain folds.




Step Eight:
Using your scoring tool or boning folder, crease all of the folded edges well, so that your card will stand up well once it's finished.




Step Nine:
Here is the Center Step card base.....now it's ready to decorate!!!!




For my sample, I used the image and scripture from the "Porch" stamp set, one 6x6 sheet of Prima "Sparkling Spring" designer paper, Zva Creative Pearls, May Arts Satin Ribbon tied with a Bow Easy, "Pearl" Glimmer Mist, Spellbinders Lattice Rectangles die, and a Martha Stewart fence punch.



I hope you enjoyed the tutorial! I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this was to make....I will definitely make more of these. In a matter of minutes, the card base was ready to decorate...yay!!! If you have questions, comments, or suggestions about this or any future tutorials, please send me an email at angelladcrockett at yahoo dot com. Please make sure to mention ODBD in your email title or you may end up in the Spam box!



Thanks so much for stopping by today! Have a blessed week!!!

Product Review/Tutorial Writer

10 comments:

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

WOWZER, Angie, your center step card looks AMAZING!!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Clickersister said...

Angie, I love, love, love this! What a wonderful card and tutorial! Huge hugs!!

Becky said...

wow is right. Thanks for the tutorial. Amazing card.

mom3 said...

Such an added elegance to this beauty! Angie, you make it all look easy!

GCgirl said...

I think I can, I think I can...lol! You make this look so easy, but we'll see ;0). You decorated this fun center step card beautifully btw

Cassie Beeze said...

Totally amazing card, and your tutorial is easy to follow. Many thanks for this one :) oh and I forgot to say WoW :D

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous card, love the coloring, neat design and the fence with that paper is so pretty

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Gorgeous Angie!! Love your center step card and your tutorial is awesome!!
hugs,
Chris

nancy said...

What a beautiful card. I can't wait to try making it. Thanks for all you great ideas. Love the pickit fence.

Patsy B. said...

OMG, how very stunning! You have been blessed with amazing talent!