Thursday, June 23, 2011

Time With Patter!

Hello friends of ODBD!  I hope you are all enjoying these early days of summer and have lots of relaxing plans for the months ahead!  Today we have a special treat for you!  As you know, Our Daily Bread designs has started a new Scrapbook ChallengeLet Your Light Shine is a monthly challenge with our very special ODBD Scrapbook Team posting a new sample layout each Tues. here on the ODBD Blog.  You have an entire month to complete your layout, and it can be any size!  So many of our stamps work beautifully with  layouts, and we want to encourage you to jump in if you have not tried scrapbooking before!  If you have already done some scrapbooking and just need a little nudge to get creating again... join us every Tues. for some awesome inspiration!  


So with this in mind, Patter, our Scrapbook Team Coordinator, and very talented scrapbooker and faith journal-er is going to share with you how she creates a layout.  We often love hearing how others create.... what's their starting point?  What inspires them?  What thought process do they use?  Well.... here's Patter to share her process!  


Today I wanted to share with you my process for creating a scrapbook layout. I hope you enjoy it, and for those of you that haven't tried scrapbooking, I hope you will give it a try. It's truly just like creating a 6x6 card just add a couple of inches. And remember, you can always join us in our monthly Let Your Light Shine Scrapbook Challenge here at ODBD! Now, let's look at how I created this layouts.

Getting Started
To start, I always choose my photos first. What do I want to scrap? What am I in the mood for? I pull several photos from the event or day I want to scrap. I may use all of the photos; I may not. After choosing my photos, I then choose my papers. I usually try to match my paper to the photos somehow or draw out a specific color. The majority of the time I use my 6x6 paper packs. That way I have a wide variety of patterns to use on the page yet the colors all complement each other and the photos. I will pull 3-4 patterns I think would work great with the photos but again, I may or may not use them all. Here I have pulled 6 photos and 5 sheets of paper from the Basic Grey Hello Luscious 6x6 pack. I also chose a background paper (usually an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet) and cut it down to 8x8 to begin working.


Design
When deciding how to design my page, I usually look at my older layouts to see if there is a design I want to flip or use again. I also like to use sketches, and sometimes I just wing it. For this particular page, I played with the photos first on my background paper to see which ones would work on this 8x8 page. I selected 3 and began cutting them down to fit. Sometimes that in itself will define how I design my page which is what happened on this page. Here is how it looks after playing with the photos on the background paper:


Next I began matting photos and layering papers. Nothing is glued yet as I do not do that until I have the layout exactly as I want it.


After that, I began playing with the stamps I want to use as well as embellishments. I play with lots of different things to see what I like. I discovered for this layout that the ODBD sets Time and Faith go together perfectly so that is what I decided to use for this page since the tall cactus in the photos (the one higher than the trees) took 7 years to bloom.


Accents
I usually love some sort of accent on my pages such as distressing, inking, painting, stitching, paint splatters, etc. On this layout I decided to use paint. I used an old cardboard tube from a box of foil to create painted circles on the background paper. I thought the circles went well with the clock. I then painted the edges of most of my papers. It just adds that extra touch.


And Finally, the Finished Piece
Here is how my finished layout turned out:


Papers: Basic Grey Hello Luscious and Max & Whiskers, Paper Trey Ink cs
Stamps: Our Daily Bread Designs Time, Our Daily Bread Designs Faith
Stamp Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink peeled paint, Archival Ink coffee, Ranger clear ep
Embellishments: Memory Box double ticket die, Spellbinders Grand Labels One, Tim Holtz film strip ribbon and tiny attacher, misc. lace, Making Memories manila paint, Martha Stewart layered arches border punch, Rose Moka alpha stickers, Basic Grey chipboard number

I hope this helps give you some ideas in how to create a layout. It truly is just an extension of cardmaking. Have fun, and thanks for joining me today!

Patter

Thanks so much Patter!  It certainly inspired me!  I know we all have our points where we  tend to get stuck.  For me... it's actually getting my physical photos!  Since I went digital all my pictures seem to stay neatly  filed away on my computer and it seems like such a daunting task to go through them and  print them off!  Well.... I'm trying to change that!  My daughter and grandkids were just here for a little over a week and I had taken several photos of them, but of course, they are all just on my camera....  My daughter came to my rescue!  Most of you probably know this but I didn't realize how easy it is to get your photos printed out really inexpensively at Walmart!  My granddaughter had some  photos she wanted to use in an album we were hoping to make, but they  were on her camera, not a flash card.  We took the camera to Walmart, and they copied the photos to her card and we just put the card into their computer and voila.... all her pics came up and it was the easiest thing in the world to pick them!  Ten minutes later we left with an envelope full of photos for less than $4.00!  I could not print them off at home for that at the cost of printer ink!  They even have ways you can crop, correct some elements of the photo, etc. If you don't want to go to the store.... you can just email them and pick them up when you designate!   So now... I'm making it a point to start getting some of those special moments printed out and get started making some lasting memories for my family to enjoy!  If you have been "stuck" with this same issue.... I hope you'll join me and lets get scrapping!!!

I hope you enjoyed today's look at how Patter creates a page.... and I hope you'll join us in our challenges for lots of chances to win ODBD stamps!  Have a blessed week!




DT Coordinator

11 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

Wow, what a gorgeous page, Patter! Thanks for the tips! God bless!

Auntie Em said...

Your LO is gorgeous! It looks so much easier when broken down like this tutorial! I like LOs with a subtle repetition of shapes or patterns in designs. They will often catch your eye without your even realizing why.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Randi said...

Patter, I love your page and great ideas. Thanks!

Sandee said...

Fantastic Patter!!!!

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Great tutorial, Patter!!! Love those colors you chose in your layout! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing your process, Patter! What a beautiful page. I love all the little details you add that help make the page so special.

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Thanks Patter, what a beautiful page and some great ideas you shared for pulling it all together. ~ Abby

Saints Rule! said...

I love the page you created Patter! It is wonderful to see how your creative process takes shape! Thanks for the tips! Blessings...

Lori

Jean C said...

Your page layout and color combo are super! I like your ideas and thanks for sharing your design process.

Sarah said...

Thanks Patter, for a great tutorial! Your page is awesome!

Robyn said...

Patter, originally I looked at this tutoral on my cell phone. It just doesnt do the whole thing justice!! Love what you have shared to the detail. I do much the same in making choices for layouts.