Thursday, August 18, 2011

Time With Dawn!

Hello friends!

I hope you all had a chance to view all the Design Team samples with the JUST released Scripture Series 2 set and the Scrolly Borders!  The Scriptures are so wonderful!  If you didn't get to see it, please scroll down and you'll see the release.  Fabulous!!!  Well.... today you'll get to see another project made with this special release....


I just love the days that we spend time with one of our Design Team members!  Everyone on this team is so talented and the ideas are so diverse.... I just love having them explain their creative process for each project!


Today we are blessed to be spending time with Dawn Lusk.  Dawn  has so many great ideas, and I know you will love seeing how she does these tiles!  If you are looking for a quick and pretty easy project, I think she will inspire you today!


Here's Dawn!

Hello, Dawn here with hopefully a relatively quick, fun technique made even better with the awesome release of Scripture Series 2 and Scrolly Borders. Thanks to YOU, our customers, for these wonderful Scriptures!


Here are the supplies you'll need to make this project:
A Glossy 4x4 tile from your home improvement store (it must be glossy in order to do the technique!), Ranger alcohol inks, isopropyl alcohol, ink applicator. (ink colors used were Slate, Latte, Eggplant and a Copper Mixative).

Tip: Experiment on a piece of glossy cardstock before starting your tile

Start by putting several drops of the colors on your applicator.

Dab all over the tile until you get the "look" you want. Try not to fill in, leave some blank spaces for the ink to "run" and blend. You don't want to muddy it up!


Next, spritz your applicator with the alcohol, this will magically make your inks blend.
I love how it turned out! I almost hated to cover it up!! LOL


At this stage I sponged the edges with Black Soot Distress ink (more added later as you'll see!)

Now, for the next step you'll need:

Tissue paper, stamps, Memento Ink, Mod Podge, and a stamp positioner helps. I'm a "finger painter" type gal, you might also want a foam brush or paint brush.


Stamp your Scrolly Borders image twice as shown or as you choose. Tear the tissue rather than cut it. This will make it more "invisible" when you adhere it to the tile!


Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the tile, then position the tissue over it and apply a thicker coat. Carefully press out any bubbles. Set aside to thoroughly dry.

You can also adhere a piece of thin cork to the back so it doesn't slide or scratch surfaces.


I also sponged some more Black Soot Distress ink around the edges before giving it a good coat of a clear sealer.

I hope I've inspired you to try something different! Thanks for stopping!
Dawn

Thanks so much Dawn for this neat project and the step by step instructions!  What a great gift idea!  With the Holidays coming quickly, I know we all can use some ideas!  


I hope you'll leave Dawn some love here and then pop on over to her blog to see all the other ideas she has!  You'll be glad you did!


17 comments:

Sandee said...

Dawn I love this and can't wait to try it!!!

Sarah said...

I love this idea and am hoping to try it soon! Great project!

Evette K. said...

I have done tiles before Dawn but never like this. I love it!! Will have to try this technique as it really looks great. Thanks for teaching us in a simple straight forward way. ekc

Cook22 said...

That looks so, so much easier than trying to stamp on the tile! Love the alcohol ink background, too.

Saints Rule! said...

Wow Dawn! LOVE IT!!!!!

Amy said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial!

Becky said...

wow Dawn, I love this. This came out beautiful.

Lori said...

Great piece, super job!

Angella D. Crockett said...

Absolutely fabulous!!!!! Thanks for the instructions! Hugs, Angie

Marlena M. said...

Gorgeous tile! ;)

Gemiel said...

This is beautiful!!! Thanks for the tutorial.

thefrashers said...

when i saw the first picture i thought oh, it looks like she stamped on a piece of marble - how lovely. a set of these would make a great gift of coasters. thanx for the wonderful idea.

Auntie Em said...

I love the beautiful trivet you created! I have never tried this on a tile but I love the effect on the glossy paper. Thank you for the great tutorial! :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome project. Thanks for sharing. Jo4Him

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Dawn, oh my goodness, girl, you never cease to amaze me!! This is absolutely stunning. I so have to get my Alcohol Inks out and give this a try!! Thanks for the inspiration....LOVE it!! Hugs, Sabrina

Diane said...

did you use regular inexpensive tissue paper???

Laura said...

Love this project.....especially the sentiment!

Could you tell me what you mean by "spray with alcohol"? The step after you've dapped the in on.

Thanks,
Laura