Thursday, December 29, 2011

Time With Lori!

Hello friends!  Trusting you had a wonderful Christmas and are enjoying this last week of 2011!  Today we have a special time with post, by our talented Challenge Team member, Lori!  Here's Lori!

In a few short days we will embark on a new year! And that means at least 3 months of me writing the wrong year on paperwork! So for today's project I wanted something that focused on time and would make a cute gift to give in the coming year. And the Time set by Our Daily Bread Designs is perfect for just such a project!

Here's the finished product...



The beauty of this project is it requires little to any woodworking skills. I scavenged a corner molding piece from a recent home renovation project. And my dear hubby was kind enough to saw it down for me. However, all you need is a 4 x 4 block of wood. These corner molding elements are easily available at your local home remodeling store! All you need are a few supplies and an afternoon.



Here are the items you will need

4 x 4 piece of wood (I used a left over corner molding element)
Gesso
Acrylic Paint Colors of your choice (I selected two shades of mustard, dark and light, plus brown for aging)
Fine Grit Sandpaper or sanding block for distressing
Stamp - Time by Our Daily Bread Designs
Ink (I used Memento Tuxedo Black)
Tissue Paper that coordinates with your paint color (I selected a pale yellow)
Paint brushes and/or sponges
Old toothbrush
Modge Podge (I prefer a Matte finish)
Cordless drill
Mini Clock converter kit (available at most craft/hobby stores)

The type of paint I used dries quickly. I like a more "distressed" look so I added several layers of paint. But you can do less if you like. Just make sure everything dries thoroughly in between! First, I applied a thin layer of Gesso to my wood block. This helps the paint to adhere. For my project, I coated the block twice letting it dry between each layer.



Next, I applied a coating of the lighter of my two shades of mustard paint. After letting it dry for 20 minutes I applied a layer of the darker paint. This one I applied with a sponge applicator to give it a more streaked appearance. I wanted it to look "worn" so an even coat was not necessary. Let dry for 20 - 30 minutes.



Then stamp the clock image and sentiment on tissue paper. (I used black ink for this project). Take care to cut out around the images as close as you can with scissors. Apply a thin layer of Modge Podge to your painted block and position the clock stamp and sentiment where desired. Since this will be a "real" clock I positioned the clock face as close to the center as possible. Then lightly coat with another layer of Modge Podge and allow to dry.



At this stage I went back in and coated any of the tissue paper edges that showed with the darker mustard paint. I also added a few "streaks" of dark brown paint with a sponge. Be very light handed with this stage. Let project dry.



Whew! During the final prep stage I lightly sanded the edges of the block and the stamped image for that "aged" look. I placed some thinned brown paint on my old toothbrush and "splattered" the entire image!

After the block has cured, drill a hole in the center of the "clock image." Make sure to check the dimensions of the clock movement set you purchase to make sure you drill the right size hole. The one I purchased required a quarter inch hole to insert the clock shaft. Once it is in place, tighten with bolts and add watch hands as the kit instructs! Add a battery and you are in business! Told ya it was easy!

Thanks again for spending time with me today! Blessings...

Thanks so much Lori!  What a beautiful project! I know it will inspire our readers to get creating!!!  It certainly has inspired me!!!  My apologies for getting this post up late.  I have been quite ill.  :(


  Please leave Lori some love and stop by her blog when you can to see what else she's been up to!

9 comments:

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

WOWZER, Lori, girl, this is one fabulous project!! I think I'll make one of those for my DH to take to work! ;D Thanks so much for a fabulous tutorial!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Angella D. Crockett said...

Lori, that is too cool!!!! Thanks for the step by step instructions!!! Blessings, Angie

Jan Marie said...

So clever and so beautiful! Such a great reminder as well!! Thanks for your thorough and precise instructions!

pinky said...

Wow what an amazing project!! Love the finished piece.

Dawn said...

awesome project Lori!!

irishgreensue said...

With all that inspired creativity, I will spend time with you ANY DAY!! What a great project - and EASY PEASY too - your step by step directions - and little hints - make it so simple to follow! Love the "reminder" on the bottom - this will make a super gift!!

Traci S. said...

This is an amazing, beautiful and powerful gift, Lori! What a great clock to look at through the busy day! What a powerful reminder! Thank you for showing us step through step directions to this wonderful idea!

Happy New Year!

He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

Kelley said...

Lori, this is a totally awesome project!! WOW!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a stunning and creative use of the time stamp Lori! You really are amazing and your directions are perfect!!
hugs,
Chris