Thursday, December 15, 2011

Time With Sabrina!

 Hello ODBD friends!  I hope you are all enjoying this beautiful season of the year, and that your "To Do" lists are short by this point!  Today we are spending time with our talented and oh so sweet Sabrina, who has a great idea for those last minute gifts we all need from time to time!  Enjoy!

 Hello stampers!  I have the privilege to spend some special time with you all today. It is my turn for a "Time with" post and I will share a fun little last minute gift idea with you all. I don't know about you, but I always need that one last minute gift and as a last resort I most of the time go to my local grocery store or Walgreen's to pick up a gift card. Well, not this year. I always buy my candles on sale, you know those end of season sales just about every store has, so for my project I picked up a red pillar candle for like $1.50 or so. For my project you'll need that candle, some Epsom salt (real inexpensive ;D) some ModPodge, a foam brush, paper plate and a container to put some Epsom salt in. Let me give you a look at my finished candle first, so you'll know how it all came together and then I will break it down for you to try.



Fun little candle....isn't it?   Now let me share with you how it came about.  Here is what you'll need


You will have to take any wrappers or protective films off of your candle. Add some ModPodge unto your paper plate use your foam brush to apply the ModPodge to your candle



Since the candle is somewhat resistant you will have to apply several coats of ModPodge, but if you prefer a more rustic and uneven coverage, you can just leave it as with the first coat. I've added three coats and this is how it looked right after I put my candle into the container with the Epsom salt.



Roll your candle in the Epsom salt until the desired coverage is achieved and your candle looks something like this

Since I added a lot of ModPodge I rolled it until all the open areas where covered



Take your candle out of the container of Epsom salt, I've put mine on a paper plate so any of the loose salt  will fall unto the plate and not my table. All you will have to do now is allow the ModPodge to try. It won't take very long. I waited maybe 30 minutes.





Now all you can decorate the candle as you wish. I finished mine off with a belly band and a sentiment and here is my entire set that I have made, including a card and all wrapped up.







Recipe:

Paper: PTI Vintage Cream, Ripe Avocad, Recollections DP Naughty or Nice

Stamps: ODBD Sacred Season, Gift of God

Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black

Accessories: Spellbinders Labels 6, glitter poinsettias, Recollections Holly leaves, green twill ribbon, red/gold loop trim. red rhinestones, clear cello bag, red sheer ribbon, green bauble, golden string, Christmas pick from my stash which I cut apart for the greenery




Real simple real quick and special for sure, when you think how expensive some of these specialty candles are. Thanks for allowing me to share this project with you all today. I had lots of fun.  Thanks so much and have a blessed Christmas!!
Sabrina

Thanks so much Sabrina!  Your candle is beautiful and what a nice little gift set this makes!  I'm wanting to try one of these for sure!  Please stop  by Sabrina's blog to leave her some love, and see what else she's been up to. On behalf of the entire design team crew here at ODBD, I want to wish you and yours a most blessed Christmas as you celebrate the birth of Christ, and all that means to us who know Him personally! 




DT Coordinator

14 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

Sabrina, that is so gorgeous! What a neat idea! Thanks so much for the inspiration!!! Blessings, Angie

Karen W said...

Beautiful Sabrina, very good ideas and what a savings.

Francie G. said...

Beautiful, Sabrina! Fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing!

pinky said...

Wow its just beautiful. Is it safe to light this candle or is it just for decoration?

Becky said...

Sabrina, this is fabulous girl! Love the candle and card.

Wanda Cullen said...

You mean Epsom salts are not just for soaking feet with ingrown toenails - lol?! What a lovely gift idea to create a "snowy" candle! Love it! Thanks for really clear directions on the steps to making it!

Conniecrafter said...

Such a creative use of the epson salts, it's perfect for this season, pretty embellishing of the candle too, love the christmas pick on the card with the flowers too, Lovely gift set!

berlykim37 said...

Sabrina that is a cool idea.
Thanks for the Idea.

Lindyloo said...

Sabrina this is a lovely idea and such an inexpensive gift. Love the card too.
All the best Linda

Kathy said...

Sabrina, that is such a great idea! I think I have all the supplies for these and it looks so simple to do! I'm going to have to try these out! Thank you! Blessings! Kathy

Deborah Saaranen said...

Ohhh...I love the frosty look of this project...thanks for the tutorial Sabrina!

irishgreensue said...

What a creative idea, using epsom salt for the snowy candle, and so easy to do! I LOVE this project!! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!

GuestFirst said...

Furnished Apartments in Chennai!! Great dreams of great dreamers are always transcended.Guest house facility in Guindy

GuestFirst said...

Furnished Apartments in Chennai!! Great dreams of great dreamers are always transcended.Guest house facility in Guindy