Thursday, January 26, 2012

Time With.....Angie!

Hello friends! 
I hope you have been enjoying a wonderful week and are ready to spend some time with our super talented and ever so sweet Design Team member, Angie!  Angie is going to show you how she colors beautiful scenes with sponge daubers and ink for a spectacular result!!!  Enjoy!!!

Hi everyone! Today I'd like to share a fun scene created with the combination of two sets from Our Daily Bread designs. Since I write a lot of the posts here on the ODBD blog, many of you probably know that my favorite adjective when it comes to ODBD stamps is VERSATILE! I love how you can combine sets to create any scene or any theme you like. Today I am using a brand new set, scheduled for the February 1 release, called 'The Mighty Sea" along with the very first ODBD set, "Light of the World".....what a perfect combination!!

I practiced on scratch paper first to figure out the size of cardstock I needed to cut. Since I am using a 6x8 wooden photo frame, I cut the white cardstock to 4-3/4 x 6-1/2, so that it will have a nice size mat around the scene.

The ocean scene from "The Mighty Sea" was first stamped on the right bottom edge of the cardstock. I use Stazon ink since it is waterproof. I will be coloring with sponge daubers, so I need an ink that won't smear. (If you prefer Copic markers for coloring, do not use Stazon ink, but Memento ink or something similar.)


To stamp the Lighthouse from "Light of the World" in just the right place, I will be using my Stamp-a-ma-jig Stamp Positioner. Place the clear plastic sheet in the corner of the Stamp-a-ma-jig handle....make sure it fits squarely in the corner.



Next ink up your stamp and use the corner of the handle as a guide for your stamp block....stamp onto the clear sheet.



Now that my lighthouse image is on the plastic sheet, I'm ready to line it up onto my ocean scene.


Place the plastic sheet over your cardstock and line up the image exactly where you want it to be.


When it's lined up, hold the sheet in place with one hand and line up the Stamp-a-ma-jig handle with the corner of the plastic sheet with the other hand. Carefully remove the image sheet without moving the handle. If the cardstock moves at this point, you may have to use some temporary adhesive on the back of your cardstock to keep it from moving, then reposition the Stamp-a-ma-jig again. (Remember.....paying attention to the little things makes all the difference in how your project turns out!)



Once your Stamp-a-ma-jig handle is in place, ink up your stamp again, hold the handle in place, and stamp the image again, this time onto your cardstock.




Voila.....now the beach scene has a lighthouse! Now it's time to add some finishing touches before coloring.


Using a portion of the beach stamp, some extra sea-grass was added to the scene, plus a scripture verse from "The Mighty Sea" set.



Since I love to color my scenes with sponge daubers and ink pads, I use 3M Post it Craft Paper to create masks for my images. The photo below shows both stamps on the Post It paper, which I will cut out.



The Post it masks were cut out and placed over the items which need to be protected from the sponging of the skyline. I love to use Post It paper since it clings tight to the cardstock and doesn't move during the sponging process, plus it peels off just like a post it note when you're finished!



At the horizon line I used a Ruby Red color, sponging heavily at the edge of the post it paper and blending toward the top.



The lighthouse light was sponged in yellow, then the rest of the sky was sponged with Marigold Morning, blending down into the Ruby Red. When sponging a scene like this, it's important that your sponge daubers are new and still smooth so that you can get a smooth blended look with the ink....otherwise, the color will not be even. The same goes for when you are stenciling your die cuts.


Once the sky was finished, the masks were removed, leaving the areas which will be colored with markers. A bit more sponging was used for the beach edges, but masking was not necessary for this work.


After the coloring was finished, a white mat and blue background were added, along with paper piercing, silver brads, baker's twine wrapped around linen thread, and a corduroy button.


Supplies used:
Stamps: Our Daily Bread designs 'Light of the World' and 'The Mighty Sea' (available 2/01/12);
Cardstock: SU Brocade Blue and Whisper White;
Ink: Stazon Jet Black, SU Ink Pads and markers;
Accessories: Sponge Daubers, 3m Post-it Craft Paper, silver brads, SU Linen Thread and Corduroy Button, Baker's Twine, paper piercer and template, White Signo Gel Pen (waves), Stamp-a-ma-jig Stamp Positioner, 6 x 8 Frame.

Thank you so much Angie!  Your scene is just over the top!!! Thanks for the step by step how tos!!!  This is also a great sneak peek at what's coming on Feb. 1!  Be sure to stop by for our release blog hop and see lots of inspiration with these beautiful new sets!


Please stop by Angie's blog and leave her some love!  We all enjoy knowing you've stopped by and been inspired!!!  I hope you'll give this a try.... Our Daily Bread designs has LOTS of stamps that make beautiful scenes, so think of the gift possibilities here! Please be sure to add your photos to our Card Gallery, found in the top left side bar of the Store!  You never know when you might be our next featured stamper!!! 

See you on the hop!



27 comments:

Karen W said...

I love this, wonderful job on this and I love the new stamp!

Olga said...

absolutley breathtaking!!!!! Great tips thanks!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a gorgeous result and beautiful project Angie!! Love the sky!! Stunning my friend. Good tutorial as well!!
hugs,
Chris

Jonia said...

What a wonderful scene and now I need to try this! Thanks Angie!

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

I really love this work well done must see how much this set of stamps are they are really lovely...Shaz in oz.x

Francie G. said...

Gorgeous, Angie! Fabulous tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

DottyA Cards & Things said...

You did a Beutiful job on this ....
I love the whole look you created here...
It's just Lovely!

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Angie, my friend, I LOVE this picture you have created here!! I am so miserably filing using my Stamp-a-ma-jig, so this is one tutorial I will have to print out and keep right on my desk, so maybe one day I can master it like you do!! I amblown away, seriously, this is AMAZING!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Sillyfilly said...

What a beautiful card and a wonderful tutorial. Thank you for sharing your talent.

Kathy said...

This is so gorgeous, Angie! I was wondering how you did all that, awesome tutorial! I'll have to give it a try! Blessings! Kathy

sandee said...

That is a piece of art work! wow, great tutorial too, a lot of work but worth the end result!

MiamiKel said...

Oh my heavens, this is ever so stunning!! What gorgeous work! TFS :)

Sabrina said...

You like the adjective Versatile, you probably know I love the sea, so I'm really looking forward to seeing this set in the full release. What a beautiful scene you've created. PostIt paper is new to me, not sure we get it over here.

Gemiel said...

Angie, thaks so much for the tutorial. Your coloring is stunning!!! I'll have to give it a try.

Liz Williams said...

Wow, this is beautiful. Looks like another great stamp I won't be able to pass up getting. I just love how you stamped and colored this, Angie!!

Wanda Cullen said...

Thanks, Angie, for the super tutorial! What a gorgeous scene you've created!

Dawn said...

totally awesome, Ang!!! genius to add the lighthouse!

Anonymous said...

Love your finished card! Thanks so much for the great tutorial - learning new techniques is easier for me if I can see step by step instructions. Thanks for sharing !

Karenajo

Clare said...

Wow, Angie! Thanks for the tutorial on how you did this! Awesome card!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my what a Gorgeous scene you have made, thanks for the step by step!

irishgreensue said...

You are an amazing enabler as well as artist, Angie - love this with all my heart!! What a treasure!

Michelle Laycock said...

This is BRILLIANT!!!!

AJ Scrapbooking and Cards said...

Wow this is just beautiful!

Deborah Saaranen said...

Angie, you are a technique expert...love all of your tutorials! Your design here is gorgeous...what a beautiful piece of art!

Pati said...

Beautiful scene and coloring. Thanks for sharing your technique!

Myamical said...

Your work is beautiful,as usual. Looks like you can save your money on copic markers, you do just wonderfully without them.

Cards By Jan said...

This is so awesome Angie!! Love how you coloured this scene...and thanks for the tips!!
Hugs