Thursday, February 9, 2012

Time With... Grace!

Hello friends of ODBD!  Today is our scheduled Time With post, but due to extenuating circumstances, the bread stick who was scheduled to do today's post was unable to get hers done, and I decided that rather than just have no post for you, that I would try to share a really quick little gift I made a while back.  I have given this bookmark to a dear friend when she was going through some  difficult times, and I don't have the best photos of it, but I'm filling in here tonight, so please forgive me the quality of my photos, as I no longer have the bookmark to take any better ones!  LOL!  Anyway... this is the bookmark I made.



I bought these 2" pendant frames at Hobby Lobby.  
They consist of a metal frame and 2 pieces of glass for each pendant. 



Next, I chose a Scripture from ODBD Scripture Collection 3
which just fits in the frame.


I used a scrap of paper for my bookmark from my scrap box.  I chose a basically muted piece but wanted just a little bit of pattern for a touch of color. I used Versafine Vintage Sepia to stamp the verse on this designer paper.


I laid one piece of glass over the verse, centering it as desired, and trace with a pencil.
Then I cut just to the inside of the lines.


Next I selected another scrap of designer paper for the back, and traced and cut it out.


Next, I made sure my glass was clean, and then just inserted the front and back papers and both glass pieces into the frame.


You will notice in the photo above that these frames have these little tabs used to latch the frame closed.  I didn't really like how that looked, as it seemed to make the frame just a little uneven on that side.  So, I cut it off and opted for Aleene's Jewelry Metal Glue.


Again I apologize for the quality of these photos.  Anyway... the above photo shows the frame assembled and glued in place.

Next, I collected some basic jewelry making accessories, including crimp beads and very thin satin ribbon (I used 1/8").  I also selected a couple pretty decorative beads and a cross charm.  The tools were a crimping tool and a large eyed needle.


I folded my ribbon in half, and slipped the loop through the ring on the frame, then slipped the ribbon ends through the loop, attaching the ribbon to the frame.


Next, I slid a couple decorative beads on to the ribbon, using the large eyed needle, and then I added a crimp bead and crimped it tight over the ribbon.


I did basically the same thing on the other end, but I used a large hole bead, knotted the ribbon and inserted it into the bead, then fixed it permanently with more Jewelry Glue.



So there you have it!  A super quick little gift to tuck in for someone who needs a little encouragement!  My friend was kind enough to send me a photo of it on her Bible.  



I hope this little tutorial is helpful for you and that you might give this a try.  I am by NO means familiar with jewelry making, although I have been collecting tools to start playing around with it.... but all that to just say, this takes no special skills!  

I know this is no replacement for the great project you would have seen today, but it was very last minute and it was the best I could do late at night.  I hope you enjoyed it... and the other DT project will be ready for you to see some time soon!

  If you'd like to pop by my blog, I'd love to have you visit:
Th-INK-ing of You

Blessings,

DT Coordinator


16 comments:

Karen W said...

Very pretty and I'm sure she loved it!!

Mau xx said...

This is a beautiful gift and I am sure it will be treasured for many years xxx

Jonia said...

Grace what a great tutorial you put together in that short amount of time. I love the way you explained every detail. Thanks for sharing with us today and I know your friend will cherish this gift for a life time.

Francie G. said...

A beautiful gift, Grace! Wonderful tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Angella D. Crockett said...

Grace, that is so gorgeous and creative! I love it! Thanks for showing how easy it is....will have to shop for some supplies! Blessings, Angie

Becca Feeken said...

Oh wow Grace, this is amazing!! It's not a quick little gift but a quick big gift!! Love it!!

Lindyloo said...

A lovely gift to give a friend and I bet that receiving it at this troubled time in her life gave her a well needed lift. Bless you for thinking of your friend like that.
All the best Linda (S.Wales, UK)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a beautiful bookmark and a treasured gift!! I just love it in my Bible!!! That verse is a wonderful reminder especially in the hardships of life. Great tutorial!!
hugs,
Chris

Diana Queen said...

Grace, this is so beautiful. What a great tutorial too! Hugs! ;D

Kelley said...

LOL...I thought it was for Chris!! Such a beaitful treasure for her! Awesome tute!

marcia said...

I have recently thought about making some bookmarks and I really like this one. Thanks for the great idea!

Dawn said...

how pretty and such a good idea to use those frames!! clever you!

Traci S. said...

Hi Grace~

This is a beautiful and love-filled project! Thank you for taking the extra effort to post this for us. I am sure that your friend really loved it...who wouldn't?!

He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

You May Win 1-5 Cards Weekly!
http://He-IS-Able.blogspot.com

JoAnn said...

I love this and I think I will give this a try. Love the cross on the end.

MiamiKel said...

This is stunning! TFS!

Cards By Jan said...

Wow Grace..what a beautiful Bookmark, Thanks for showing us how do do one...
Hugs