Monday, March 12, 2012

Techniques, Tutorials, & Tips Anniversary Edition - The Faux Silk Technique!

Hi everyone! Welcome to "Anniversary Week" here at Our Daily Bread designs! Saturday, March 17th will be our 4th anniversary, so we will be sharing fun stuff with you all week long, leading up to the reveal of our brand new Scripture Collection sets on Saturday!!

All week we will be focusing on traditional gifts and color schemes for 4th anniversaries. The Shining the Light Challenge, hosted by our fabulous Challenge Team, is to use shades of aqua or topaz. Today's focus is silk. The Techniques, Tutorials, & Tips video below will show you how quick and easy it is to do the "Faux Silk" Technique, using tissue paper and cardstock. Enjoy!!


As mentioned in the video, there are so many variations to the "Faux Silk" Technique. Not only can you stamp and color on the tissue paper, but you can use patterned tissue paper for a fun background. Next time you see some fun tissue in your gift bag, you don't have to feel guilty for saving it......just recycle it and try the "Faux Silk" Technique!! It's so easy and fun!!

Since the samples may have not been very clear in the video, I have included photos below....feel free to click on them for a close-up view. The first card shows how patterned tissue acts as designer paper....the Faux Silk Technique gives it a lovely texture.

Supplies Used:
Stamps: Our Daily Bread designs 'Special Blend';
Cardstock: Stampin Up 'Not Quite Navy' and 'Very Vanilla';
Designer Paper: recycled tissue paper;
Ink: Stampin Up 'Not Quite Navy' and Ranger 'Antique Linen';
Accessories: Xyron Sticker Maker, Zva Creative Pearls, Bow Easy, May Arts Satin Ribbon, foam tape;
Size: 5-1/2 x 5-1/2.

This sample shows white tissue with stamped and colored images.

Supplies Used:
Stamps: Our Daily Bread designs 'Sweet Friendship' (scripture) and 'Faithful Friend' (dragonfly);
Cardstock: Stampin Up 'Basic Black', 'Old Olive', and 'Whisper White';
Designer Paper: Recycled White Tissue Paper;
Ink: Stazon Jet Black, Stampin Up 'Old Olive', Spica Glitter Pen;
Accessories: ODBD Elegant Oval Dies, Paper Piercer and template, May Arts Trim, Nestabling Pearls, 'Pearl' Glimmer Mist, Foam Tape, Xyron Sticker Maker;
Size: A2.

Thanks for hanging out with us today! We can't wait to see your Faux Silk samples in the Card Gallery!! Stay tuned Tuesday for the "Designer Favorites: Flower Hunt Game"! Don't forget, the Easter/Spring sale is still going on.....check it out HERE!

Have a blessed week!!

Product Review/Tutorial Writer

18 comments:

Caryn S said...

I have never seen this technique before and it looks like something I have to try. Of course probably like everyone else, I have a ton of "rescued" tissue paper in my hall closet, in several colors. I'm curious to see what it would look like in other colors now.

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Angie, my sweet friend, you have done it again!!! WOW, what a cool video and thanks for the tip with the Xyron, you are the BEST!! I really LOVE the teacup card...amazing!!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Linda w said...

Great tutorial and the finished samples are beautiful. Hugs lin

Grace said...

Angie thanks for doing this tutorial! It's such an easy technique and one I know many of us will use often! Great job with the video!

Betty Wright said...

Angie, this is awesome! I love the pattern tissue look, too! Love the faux silk looks with the cards! Beautifully done!

Julie said...

Angie,

This is a great technique. The printed tissue paper is beautiful. What a wonderful tutorial.

Thanks!

Mary said...

love your card...this was awesome...Have A Bless One

Greta said...

Beautiful cards, Angie. This is a new technique for me--thanks for the video!

Gloria Westerman said...

What a beautiful card and idea...Thank you for the tutorial....I'm going to try this...looks like fun and easy....tfs

Conniecrafter said...

Very cool technique and I just love the coloring of the dragonflies and the neat printed tissue paper, I don't think I have any with pretty printing, of course you know I have a stash of used tissue paper, will have to give this a try :)

Traci S. said...

Hi Angie~

Thank you for making this video. You give such clear and necessary information. Following your tutorials is as easy as pie!

Thank you for giving me a purpose for the boxes of crinkled tissue paper I have!

He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

p.s. Miss You!

Francie G. said...

Fabulous tech, Angie! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial and sharing you beautiful creations! Hugs!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. i will have to give this technique a try!

Jannifer Brumbelow said...

Awesome tutorial. I'll have to try.

Anonymous said...

Packrats, unite! I'll be glad to try this soon. Thanks a lot---Jennifer in Ohio

stampencamper said...

lovely cards; especially love the pattyerned tissue paper. I don't know if I have any double stick paper, and don't have a larger xyron sticker maker. This reminds me of the white wrapping paper and napkin technique; except you crumple the paper

Anonymous said...

The Daily Bread tissue paper you used for the Faux card above is gorgeous.

Diana from WI

Anonymous said...

Dahhhh,
I didn't check what I was typing before I sent it. The Faux silk card using The Daily Bread design tissue paper is gorgeous. I think I got it this time. hahhaha


I love the tissue paper and then used on a card. I do not remember seeing patterned tissue paper except Christmas tissue paper

Diana from Wisconsin