Monday, March 26, 2012

Techniques, Tutorials, & Tips - Paper Piercing and Faux Stitching!

Hi everyone! Hope your weekend was fantastic! I had a blast making a new tutorial video for you for this edition of Techniques, Tutorials, and Tips! The topic this time around is Paper-Piercing and Faux Stitching! As I mention in the video below, paper-piercing is an easy way to add character to your cards or layouts without dragging out the sewing machine. Plus, learning how to sew on paper takes a little practice....one day I will get there, but for now, I love to paper-pierce!!

For straight lines, I do use a template....there are many different templates on the market. I do occasionally use my Tim Holtz ruler for piercing, but the template I use most of the time is from Stampin Up's 'Mat Pack'. For circles, ovals, or shaped Spellbinder dies, I pierce around the edges freehand.....it's not difficult, but does take a little patience to pay attention to your spacing.

If you would like to learn how to paper-pierce, but you don't have a template, you can always use a regular ruler and pierce next to the hashmarks while holding the ruler in place. You will also need a foam pad in order for the paper-piercing tool to go through the paper. I usually use a cutting mat under the foam pad so that I don't poke holes in my desk. If you don't have a cutting mat, you can use several pieces of cardboard instead....that should be enough protection. And of course, you will need a paper-piercing tool, which you can pick up in any craft store.

Grab a cuppa and enjoy the video.....please excuse one scene where I am not directly on camera....sometimes these things happen and it's too late to go back! :)





I hope that the video helps to answer some of your questions on Paper-piercing and Faux Stitching. Any time you have questions (or suggestions for future tutorials), please feel free to email me at angelladcrockett at yahoo dot com.

Here are two of the card samples from the video:


Stamps: Our Daily Bread designs 'Prayer of St. Frances' (will be available April 1st);
Cardstock: Stampin Up Pear Pizazz and Very Vanilla;
Designer Paper: Prima 'Romantique';
Ink: Stazon Jet Black and Stampin Up Pear Pizazz;
Accessories: Spellbinders Grand Calibur, Grand Labels One Dies, Cheery Lynn Designs 'Fanciful Flourish', Prima Flower, Foam Tape, Paper Piercer;
Size: Approx 5-1/2 x 5-1/2.


Stamps: Our Daily Bread designs 'Cat Sympathy' (will be available April 1st);
Cardstock: Stampin Up Cherry Cobbler and Whisper White;
Designer Paper: My Mind's Eye 'Lost and Found - Rosy';
Ink: Stazon Jet Black, Stampin Up Markers;
Accessories: Spellbinders Fleur De Lis Squares and Square Nestabilities, Bow Easy, Stampin Up Twill Ribbon, Nestabling Pearls, Foam Tape, Paper Piercer and 'Mat Pack' template from Stampin Up;
Size: 6 x 4-3/4.

Thanks so much for visiting today! Have a very blessed week!!


Product Review/Tutorial Writer

12 comments:

Caryn S said...

Thanks for the video and just so you know I am in for that St. Francis prayer stamp!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the wonderful video. So, so helpful! Your cards today are gorgeous too!

Francie G. said...

Wonderful tutorial, Angie! TFS!

Caitiumom said...

I love thus idea, I just pulled out an old tracing wheel, I am going to try that on some card stock. It is a nice look by piercing. I will have to find my awl. I loved your card.

Caitiumom said...

I love thus idea, I just pulled out an old tracing wheel, I am going to try that on some card stock. It is a nice look by piercing. I will have to find my awl. I loved your card.

Caitiumom said...

I love thus idea, I just pulled out an old tracing wheel, I am going to try that on some card stock. It is a nice look by piercing. I will have to find my awl. I loved your card.

Becky said...

Wonderful video and gorgeous cards.

Karen W said...

I loved the video!! I can't wait to see the new stamps, I love the kitty one so far!

Kathy said...

Awesome tutorial, Angie!!! Beautiful cards too! Blessings! Kathy

Traci S. said...

Hi Angie!

Thank you for sharing your true and tried tips of paper piercing and faux stitchin with us. I was one of the many who asked how do you keep your piercing straight? Your cards came out beautifully! Thank you for taking the time to make a video and spending the extra time showing how to do the corners properly on a square. So many hints!

He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

You May Receive 1-5 Cards Weekly!
http://He-IS-Able.blogspot.com

ecclesp said...

The card is beautiful. The tutorial is priceless. I am one of those people who can read how to make something but it just never comes out like it says..(you should taste my cooking..ugh), so watching you do this was great. I think I can do this! And I also will be ordering the new St. Francis saying stamp! Thank you, Patsy

Tara thinking about piercing said...

So how do you do so many cards? do you make a stamp and stamp them with the design?