Thursday, March 22, 2012

Time with Dawn.... In a Water Globe!!!

Hello friends of Our Daily Bread designs! I hope you've been having a great time celebrating ODBD's 4th Anniversary with us! Today... we are spending time with our ever so creative Design Team member, Dawn Lusk! She has a very fun project for you that will just leave you in awe!!! So here is Dawn!

blkA

I’m excited to be sharing this Time With post with you today!
One, because I love this scene from the set, The Mighty Sea and two, because I have this cool water globe project that you can make!

Mar22 b

I started by stamping the image with Stazon Jet Black on watercolor paper and painting with Adirondack re-inkers and white acrylic paint!

sea coloredA

This is what you’ll get in the Globecraft Kit, complete with assembly instructions. These are available at the ODBD booth, call to order.
You’ll also need a piece of acetate just smaller than the oval chipboard frame. I actually used one of the sheets from a stamp set!


globe craft

Using a high tack glue, glue your DP to each frame and use a craft knife to carefully trim excess from the backside, close to the frames. I also sanded the edges with an emery board, this distresses it but also melds the two together for a more ‘finished’ look. For the burlap I used a bag that I’d saved from Basmati rice!

burlap1

Snip the center as shown and glue the pieces to the inside. It helps to have extra ‘fingers’… those clips work great! Trim any pieces sticking out over the edge.

burlap3

Now, the fun part! Attach your globe with high tack glue and add some water, maybe a 1/4 of a cup, you don’t want it full. Add shells or whatever you want.
Here is what it looks like with just the water before gluing to burlap.

globe1

Allow the glue to dry…depending on how heavily you applied it, it could take hours to overnight. You do NOT want to use tacky white glue for the next step UNLESS you have the patience of Job! Ask me how I know!! LOL! It won’t be pretty from the backside, but nobody but you will ever see it!

Here is my first version… which probably would have worked IF I could have left it ALONE! But, noooooo, I had to pick it up before the glue was dry to see what it looked like. It looked fine, but do you know what water does when it touches white glue that ISN’T dry yet?? It mixes and the glue starts to bleed INTO the water! ACK!! Think milk in the globe!
 globe3

So, I tore it apart, washed each piece and did the process over again with the high tack WHITE glue. This time I told myself to NOT TOUCH IT, which I didn’t for about 12 hours! The glue was almost dry, most of it had gone clear, what harm could I do picking it up to check for leaks? Think milk in the globe AGAIN!!
And…again I tore it apart! 3rd time’s a charm, right?


I was bound and determined to make this work! Why not try my hot glue gun! I put a thin layer on the outer most edge of the globe oval and let it set up…sort of like a sea wall at the ocean! Then working quickly, I put down a layer on the inside edge of the globe oval and quickly put my acetate down and added my clips, making sure the glue/acetate/globe all met!

globe2

See what I mean about not pretty from the back! You can also see some of the white glue not yet dry on the burlap to globe layer, but that won’t matter.

Then it was just the assembly and adding my accessories left!

Mar22

I used Spellbinders  Nautical Frame Accents for the lighthouse, waves, shells and arrow (quote from The Sea) and Persian Accents for the verse. I sponged the lighthouse and shells with Vintage Photo while still in the die. The DP is My Mind’s Eye, A Beautiful Life. Some braided jute, some raffia and my seascape water globe was done!

shells
lighthouse
PS clsup

I hope I’ve inspired you to try this unique, fun technique! Can’t wait to see what YOU create!

Thanks so much Dawn!!!  I know that I for one am going to have to try this!!!  Please stop by Dawn's Blog to see what else she's been up to, and leave her some love here as well!  If you try this technique, we'd sure love to see your project!  Be sure to upload to the ODBD Card Gallery so we can come see!  
 
Don't forget our Customer Favorites Contest going on now!  You have until 11:59PM Monday, Mar. 26 to submit your favorite Scripture, Spiritual Sentiment or Spiritual Quote for our upcoming Customer Favorites Sets!  TEN winners will be chosen and will be given the set with their stamp in it free, and will be given the opportunity to Guest Design for the release of these special sets!  See the link at the top of the blog or click HERE
Have a blessed week!
 



17 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

Wow, what an amazing project!!!! Haha, it's tough to be patient with these things, but it turned out fabulous! Blessings, Angie

Marlena M. said...

Dawn, this is incredible! Thanks for sharing your mishaps....I can relate! I am in awe that you have actual water in there! Wow.

Gemiel said...

WOW Dawn!!!! I don't know what to say!!! This is so incredible!! I've never seen a water globe on a card before!! Love it!

Tami B. said...

I've never seen one of these before. I love it!

Caryn S said...

This project looks fantastic and I got a kick out of your description of your process! LOL! I probably would have been just impatient, I can never leave well enough alone.

Mel M. M. McCarthy said...

This is amazing, Dawn! Love that you shared what you had to overcome in making it so gorgeous. That water globe window is a brilliant idea with the scene & all of your details make it stunning.

Cards By Jan said...

Wow Dawn..this is sooooo AWESOME!! and beautiful!! hugs

Betty Wright said...

Absolutely AMAZING, Dawn! Gorgeous design and truly inspired concept! Beautifully done!

marcia said...

Amazingly beautiful and creative! Thank you for demonstrating what impatience does! If you hadn't done it, I would have(who am i kidding, I might still!) Lovely job, thank you!

Becky said...

wow..This is just awesome. Wonderful tutorial.

Clare Curcio said...

Thanks for sharing attempts 1 and 2 and finally 3! This is so cool! I will have to try it! Awesome! As my 2-yr old grandson says, "Coo dood"!

Francie G. said...

Triple WOW! Dawn, this is amazing! So many fabulous details! Gorgeous! TFS!

Conniecrafter said...

Wow, Awesome detail, coloring, textures and design!

Laura said...

Wow!

E. Marie said...

What a stunning project!!

Cards By Jan said...

Wow Dawn...This is stunning, I just love your masterpiece here....Wow!!

revuri praveen said...

This blog is very nice Online Grocery Stores at ontimegroceries.com