Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Going Grunge (and Glam) with Cindy Coutts our new Guest Designer!

Hi everybody. I hope you all had a blessed Easter!!  Today we would like to introduce our new guest designer at Our Daily Bread Designs for April and May, Cindy Coutts!! Many of you may know Cindy from Blogland or from Christian Paper Crafts (She was the past owner). We are thrilled to have her with her love for the Lord and crafting!! Welcome Cindy!!

And now to Cindy....

This is Cindy Coutts and I am so thrilled to be the guest designer for Our Daily Bread Designs for April and May. I've been a very longtime fan and customer of Our Daily Bread Designs stamps. My favorite stamps would have to be the annual scripture release by the design team and I have every single one of them and they are very well loved.

I'm very honored to be a part of the design team for the next 2 months working with a wonderful group of Christian women that I've had the pleasure to work with previously honoring Jesus in all that we do in crafting. Kelley's vision of a Christ-centered stamp ministry focusing her timeless and classic images and sentiments around the Lord fills a very strong void within the industry. Her growth over the past 4 years has been phenomenal and amazing to watch.

The design team has such an elegant and classy style that is personally intimidating to me and I feel like there's no way I can measure up to their beautiful and majestic cards and other projects. I'm a clean and simple kind of gal, don't paper pierce, or do much of anything fancy on my cards. Then came along the Grunge Cross series and that's effectively gotten me off the hook. I can do grunge, so for my card, I went very grunge that's totally unlike the stunning cards you see on this blog. I think this card shows a different side of Our Daily Bread Designs stamps and how you can use them for any style, including yours, so don't be intimidated!

I recently took a class all about inks and their properties and knew that some of the techniques that I learned would be perfect with the Grunge Cross series.

To start with my card, I used some glossy card stock and applied about 25 colors (yes, you read that right) of alcohol ink onto a cotton pad adhered to an ink applicator tool. I then stamped that onto the glossy card stock for the first round. I alternated colors on the ink applicator eventually getting in all 25 colors and blending with alcohol blending solution. Where my sentiment is stamped, I purposely used alcohol blending solution to lighten up that area. I love the fact that Our Daily Bread Designs stamps are on deeply etched rubber so that when I applied my permanent archival ink, no ink went on the edges of the stamp or outside of the image and sentiment where I didn't want it to be. Since my cross and sentiment are stamped in black, I made sure that my alcohol inks were on the lighter side to balance out the card and so that the image and sentiment were clearly visible. I knew I was going to double mat my image and also knew it was lacking something too. That's when I decided to use alcohol inks on another piece of glossy card stock using dark ink because I wanted it to stand out on the card, knowing I'd get a totally different pattern and effect, stamped the cross onto the card stock with archival/permanent ink and then die-cut the image out with the coordinating Grunge Cross Die. I spritzed a wee bit of shimmer onto the die-cut cross, used a heat tool to dry, and adhered it to the main image/sentiment panel with foam dots. I then picked out a piece of peach colored card stock, inked up the cross stamp with Versamark, and used the top left edge of the stamp on my card stock. I then heat embossed with clear embossing powder, let dry, and punched out a butterfly to tie in the backgrounds and the newsprint on the stamp. I ink distressed the edges with dark brown ink, gave it a quick spritz of clear glimmer mist, placed rhinestones down the middle, and then adhered that to the die-cut cross with glue dots. I carefully tore the edges of my image/sentiment panel, since glossy card stock is thick and you don't want a lot of bending/warping, and ink distressed the edges with dark brown ink, as well as inking the edges of the butterfly.

I then used foam tape to adhere the image/sentiment panel to a piece of beige and tan striped designer paper that is also lightly ink distressed around the edges with dark brown ink, and then adhered both mats to a black card stock base. And now we have some glam and grunge. The size of this card is A2 tent.

A few helpful hints while doing this card:

1. Make sure your black archival/permanent ink is dry before you do anything.
2. When die-cutting the cross, tape the die-cut to the glossy paper. Since glossy paper is on the thick side, you will need to run it through your die-cutting machine several times. Remove the cross from the die while it's still taped to the paper. That way, if you miss any parts of the intricacy of this die-cut, you can run it through your machine again without getting a double cut.
3. Spritz the glimmer mist onto the die-cut cross from about a foot away and then use a heat tool to dry it about a foot away too. I spritzed 2 sprays of glimmer mist and waved my heat tool over the cross about 3 times after letting the heat tool "warm up."
4. Use very small glue dots to adhere the butterfly to the center of the cross.






I would like to thank Kelley and her design team for giving me this wonderful opportunity to be a part of the team and I'll see you back in a couple of weeks with a new project. I hope that you enjoyed this card. God bless you!

Thanks so much Cindy! This is a beautiful project and I know I'm inspired by all your tips and techniques on this project. I hope you all enjoyed today's post! Please leave Cindy a little love here and then pop on over to her blog to see more inspiration! Cindy will be posting again in two weeks. For more inspiration from her, please stop by then. Thanks for stopping by today!

blessings,




19 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

Welcome, Cindy!! It's so great to be working with you again, GF!!! Your card is amazing! I can't believe how many colors you used...wow!!! Very cool and gorgeous at the same time! Hugs and blessings, Angie

Lisa Somerville said...

Beautiful Alcohol Ink BG Cindy! Happy to have you join us as a Guest Designer here at ODBD!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Welcome Cindy!! Beautiful background and creation!! Love all the colors!! Great job with the alcohol inks!!

Traci S. said...

Hi Cindy~ So glad to see you here! Hoping that you are well and thriving! I love this card! Thank you for including what type of ink you used where. That is something that holds me back quite often and I wish it was included in more directions...not just the "recipe."
I love this bg...it looks fabulous with the Grunge Cross. I think you will fit in just fine with the other Designers...I know as a viewer I will be looking for you!

He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Welcome, Cindy! I love this fun and super colorful card you have created here. I need to dig out my alcohol inks and give this a try! Looking forward to see what you will be creating over these next two months! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

marcia said...

Very nice! I am going to try that background!

Jan Marie said...

What a grungingly gorgeous card!! Love your style, girl!! Looking forward to working with you again!Great tutorial, thanks for sharing. Blessings!!

Anita Braddock said...

Awesome Love the colors the background is supper cool. Love the added Butterfly on the cross. thanks for sharing.
abbraddock@msn.com

Mary said...

Beautiful card...

debbie said...

What an awesome card - love it!! I see a scraplift coming over me ;) I agree with all of the above, especially traci

Greta said...

Stunning!

Grace said...

Oh this is beautiful Cindy! Love the background! The alcohol inks are so rich! Thanks for joining us as our special guest! Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Sarah said...

Amazing card,thanks for sharing the supplies you used.

Saints Rule! said...

Love this project Cindy! That background is amazing!!! Excited to be working with you! I know you will have some fabulous projects!

L

Dawn said...

Hey Cindy! Welcome, and wow, such a beautiful card!!!

Sandee said...

Welcome to the bread basket Cindy!!! Your card is beautiful!!! Love that background!

Francie G. said...

Welcome, Cindy! What a beautiful background you have created! Beautifully done!

Cards By Jan said...

Hi Cindy...Welcome hun
Your card is STUNNING, I just love the colours..etc. WOW!! So glad your joining us as Guest designer!!

Blessing & Hugs

Patter Cross said...

Welcome Cindy! Sorry I am late to the party! Just saw you were here. :) Eeek! Anyway, love your card, and just love the colors. A stunning creation for sure! Hugs and blessings dear friend!