Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Time with our guest Cindy Coutts ~Homegrown Daisies~



Hi everybody. It's Cindy again. Do you ever have one project in mind to make and drag out all of the supplies about 100 times only to change your mind every single time? This is one of them. I was really going after using Christmas stamp sets for non-Christmas occasions, like using the stars in the Holiday Ornaments sets and making it into a birthday card. But alas, it's summer in California now and I did not want to play with Christmas stamps. I wanted to play with flowers and using raw materials to do that. I have 2 different cloths of muslin and burlap on this card using the very fun stamp sets of Daisy and Seed Packet with the Fence Border Die. I had all of these elaborate plans to make a stick decoration to put in a daisy pot, make a seed pack from the stamp set itself and a tag (which might be coming up next as a Part 2) to tie around a daisy plant as a gift since Mother's Day is just around the corner.

I went a little rustic this time around and I promise you before my guest designer spot is up, I'll make a beautiful card like the design team does!

Since I live on a 20-acre ranch, my go to store isn't Lowe's or Home Depot, it's the feed store and there are seed packets inside of the feed store, but they are not pretty seed packets like you'd normally find. These packets look like they've been through better days and are dirty, and so that's what my seed packet looks like.

   

 

 
I did a lot of layering on an A2 tent card with black card stock and ink distressed the edges of my red/cream polka dot designer paper. I die-cut out a fence with yellow/white designer paper and distressed that too and adhered it all to the black card stock. I then cut some burlap and pulled out the strings on the edge for the frayed look and to also get it to the size that I wanted it to be. Once I was happy with that, I cut some Scor-Tape and put that on the red polka dot paper and placed my burlap on top of that. Next was cutting a length of muslin fabric, fraying the edges, and tying that into a knot at the left side of the card. Scor-Tape worked really well as an adhesive and I was surprised considering the texture and properties of the burlap, so I added that onto the back of my image panel and adhered it to the burlap.

How I made my image panel was quite the process itself, but nothing really hard, just different. I stamped it onto Kraft card stock with black dye ink and heat set it. I colored in the image with Copic markers. Between the daisies, I used a very light blue color and to outline the image, I used pink. I also colored the outside leaf pattern of the image too with a very light brown marker. Everything shows up darker and not true to color when you use Kraft card stock to color on with Copic markers. I stamped the sentiments with violet dye ink and embossed them with clear powder. I roughed up the edges a bit using a blade then ink distressing them heavily with white ink. I still needed a little something so I got some Mister Huey's Calico Shine in mustard and dark brown, unscrewed the top, and tapped it directly onto my image for "splotches."

This would be a great card to give your favorite gardener and for your tag, you could use a sentiment from the Seeds stamp set or one of the many stamp sets that coordinate with the tag die and I'm going to refer you back to ODBD For the Love of Tags Blog Hop so that you can see how many tags there are to choose from, not to mention some great inspiration while you're looking!

I hope that you enjoyed this little rustic card and I'll see you again in a few weeks after the new May release comes out! Whoo hoo! God bless you!

Cindy



8 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

Love your rustic seed packet card, Cindy!! I am really diggin' the burlap....very cool! Blessings, Angie

Jan Marie said...

This is so clever, Cindy! You always come up with the CASsiest designs. . .I'm in awe! Hugs and blessings!

Sandee said...

I LOVE it cindy!!! The burlap is so cool!!!

Cheryl said...

Oh Cindy this is just so stunning! Love the vintage feel and the burlap adds an awesome dimension!

Grace said...

Oh very pretty Cindy! I love the burlap! Nice rustic touch and perfect with the seed packet, which happens to be one of my faves... one of many! :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a pretty and rustic take with the seed packet, Cindy!! The burlap is perfect and creative! Beautifully done!!
blessings and hugs,
Chris

Traci S. said...

Hi Cindy~

This is a wonderful card! I love the natural fibers...and all of the layers you put into the stacked background.

I had one question, if you have a moment. You said, "I stamped onto Kraft card stock with black dye ink and heat set it."

Does that mean you stamp it, then put clear embossing powder on it, and then heat it? Or do this without the EP? Do you need a certain ink? I have seen this phrase so many times before, but never understood what it really meant. I would love it if you could take the time to reply! Thanks so much!

He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

You May Receive 1-5 Cards!
http://He-IS-Able.blogspot.com


BTW, you are making beautiful cards. There are so many different styles of art to choose from...love it! Own it! All meant with love and respect, my friend.

Cindy Coutts said...

Traci, the heat embossing with clear powder is optional. With black dye ink, you have to let it dry for a long time or you can heat set it to speed up the process because it will bleed and smear if you don't. You can even use black embossing powder too if you'd like but I've found that even after that's heat set, it does have a tendency to smear a little with the light color Copic markers. I hope this helps!