Thursday, June 14, 2012

Time With Kathy Roney - a great gift idea!

 Hello friends of Our Daily Bread designs!  I hope you are enjoying a blessing filled week!  Today we have a special Time With to share which I know is going to inspire you and give you a wonderful gift idea!!!  Our Challenge Team Designer, Kathy Roney is with us today and her project is just beautiful!!!  Here's Kathy!

Hi there ODBD friends!  For my project today, I'm making a covered notepad book and matching pen. This is very simple to make and it's a great gift for any occasion. You can decorate it however you want to fit the person, just like a card, and you can make it simple or elaborate!

This is the covered notebook all packaged up for a gift. You know it's really hard to take pictures of clear bags!



  Here is the front of the book:




The inside showing the matching pen:


Notebook
These are the supplies you'll need for the notebook:

  • Junior size writing pad 5" x 8" (from Target or office supply store)
  • Cardstock (heavier the better - I used Stampin' Up here), cut 10 1/2" x 8 1/4"
  • 12" x 12" Designer paper or coordinating paper
  • Glue
  • Scoretape or strong adhesive
  • Scoring tool and board

For the base: Score the 10 1/2" x 8 1/4" piece of cardstock at 5 1/8" and 5 3/8", press folds.  It should look like this:




For the mats on the front and inside, I used a 12" x 12" scrapbook designer pad. I found a sheet that had a nice design that I could cut down to fit the front and didn't need much else to decorate it.


Cut the pieces:  2 - 8" x 4 7/8" (for the 2 mats) and 1 - 5" x 2 1/8" (to cover the notebook top)



Glue the mats to the front and inside left. 

For the notebook topper, score the 5" x 2 1/8" piece of designer paper lengthwise at 7/8" and 1 1/8".  Then use scortape to adhere the topper to the notepad as shown here:


It'll look like this when finished:



Then use scortape to adhere the notepad to the inside on the right:



Here it is finished:



Now you're ready to decorate!  For my sample, I added a quote, a butterfly, and a chipboard bird to the front.  On the inside, I did a couple of Bible Verses and I fussy cut some flowers from more matching designer paper.  One thing to keep in mind, is not to put bulky embellishments inside or it will preventing the notebook from closing all the way.  (Ask me how I know!)

For the back, I made a mat out of one of the matching designer papers with a subtle design. This is optional, but it gives it a nice finished design and even more stability.  That's it, the notepad is done!

Matching Pen

Now for the matching pen:
  • Cut a piece of matching designer paper 7/8" x 3 1/4"
  • Roll it tightly on something small like an orange stick
  • Undo the pen top and take it out of the barrel
  • Slide the rolled paper inside the pen barrel and replace the pen and top
  • Add a little ribbon or bow if you like
This picture gives you an idea of what I mean.  (The rolled paper is just a sample of what it should look like.)


Here's a close up of the finished pen.


Packaging

I also love to package things up a little for a pretty presentation. All you need is a cello bag and some schreddies to put in the bag with the notepad and pen. I made a little topper for the bag to cover the top by die cutting matching paper with Labels 20, scoring and folding it lengthwise, and using a circle punch halfway in for an opening. Tie ribbon in a bow to close the bag and use a couple of glue dots to keep the die cut in place.



I also made a little notecard using a smaller Labels 20 die by folding paper and placing the die slightly outside the fold.





I hope this gives you some inspiration to make something a little different for a gift or for yourself! It's never too early to make Cristmas gifts, afterall it's almost July!  :-D

Blessings!

Kathy


Supplies used:

Stamps: Sentiments Collection, Scripture Collection 2, Scripture Collection 1

Paper: Habitat Designer Paper 12 x 12 Pad (Recollections), Chocolate Chip (SU), Natural White (Neenah), Mocha Devine (Bazzills)

Ink: Chocolate Chip (SU), Mocha Mama (Powder Puffs), Wheat (VersaMagic)

Accessories: Champagne Microbeads (Recollections), Classic Ovals Large, Classic Scalloped Ovals Large, Floral Ovals, Labels 20 (Spellbinders), chipboard shapes (Studio 18 - Michaels), adhesive pearls (Want-2-Scrap) Square Lattice Embossing Folder, Embosslits Beautiful Wings Die (SU), Aleene's Paper Glaze, pop dots, scor-tape, scor-pal, scissors, Jr. Notepad 5" x 8" (Staples), ribbon, schreddies, Basket Gift Bag (X-Small 7"x12"x4") (Michaels), 1" round hole punch (EKSuccess)

Thank you soooo much Kathy!  This is truly a great gift idea and I know our readers will want to try this!  


Please leave Kathy some love here and then to really be inspired, pop on over to her blog, to see some other things she has been designing!  

Until next time.... Blessings!





DT Coordinator

17 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a beautiful gift set Kathy!! I just love the colors and papers. What a beautiful design and a creative idea. I am sure this will be an inspiration to so many!!!
Great job on writing the tutorial.
hugs,
Chris

Angella D. Crockett said...

Ooooh! What a fabulous idea! Thanks so much for the instructions, Kathy! I will definitely try this! Beautiful work, darlin'! Blessings, Angie

Cheryl said...

Absolutely stunning!

Dawn said...

what a beautiful set, Kathy! thanks for the instructions, easy yet elegant!

Jean C said...

Kathy,
I love your notebook and it was packaged so beautifully. I usually make notepads for our Women's Retreat for our church. So you have inspired me. I have 70 to do before September!

Denny said...

LOVE IT!! This would make a great teacher gift for my high school daughters to give to their instructors. TFS!

Becky said...

What a beautiful gift set, great tutorial.

Lagene said...

Beautiful gift set! Fantastic job! Thanks for the tutorial!

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Kathy, oh my word, how absolutely genius! I made those years ago and totally forgot about it. This little gift set is so beautiful and the DP....sigh...gorgeous! I so need to stock up on legal pads and the pens and get started on thos Christmas gifts or "just because" gifts we all need ever so often!! I am with Chris, your write up of the tutorial is awesome! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Pati said...

Very nice gift idea! Pretty colors, pretty papers, love the minimal & flat embellishments-easy to close completely and to slip in & out of a handbag or pack. Great instructions, I could make this and use it! I think a few males might even tolerate this fanciness, with less of a floral print paper. : )

driving lessons redditch said...

Thanks for sharing this great tutorial. This is such an inspiration. I can do a lot with this project, like a gift or I make a lot and sell.

Gwen said...

Absolutely stunning !!! LOVE the designer paper you used, everything fits together so nicely, lovely gift to have on hand,

Cards By Jan said...

Oh Wow Kathy!! this project is awesome!! I sure will have to give this a try....Thanks Hun!!
Hugs

Kelley said...

So pretty! Kathy, you did a fantastic job!!

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous gift set and lovely embellishing, like how you packaged it up too!

Jan Marie said...

Great idea. . beautiful project and love your easy to follow instructions! Lovely work, Kathy!

Deborah Jennings said...

This is a beauty! Now to go to the store and get some of the supplies. What great gifts to have on hand for whatever!

Thank you so much for sharing with us.