Thursday, June 28, 2012

Time With Rosemary and a Fun New Technique!

 Hello friends of Our Daily Bread designs!  I hope your week has been wonderfully blessed thus far, and that you are ready for a fun and creative technique!  Our talented Challenge Team designer, Rosemary has something I think you will find fun and very unique!  We all can get in to a rut some times and this might be just the thing to help you get out of that box and expand your favorite looks!  Here's Rosemary:

Hello, friends!!  I'm so excited (and a little nervous) to be sharing with you today a fun new technique that I recently discovered.   If you like to get inky, then this new technique called "double sponging" is the technique for you!  Double sponging is similar to the emboss/resist technique, but with just a little more "wow factor".   You can see my finished card here:

Our Daily Bread designs, Honeycomb Background, Single Butterfly,Friendship, Rosemary


Supplies
You will need the following supplies to create your doubled sponged piece:  white or cream cardstock, stamps of choice (A background stamp and a single image stamp - for my piece I used the ODBD Honeycomb background stamp and the ODBD Single Butterfly stamp), watermark ink (I use VersaMark), clear embossing powder, heating tool, and several colors of  ink (I used Rangers Distress inks in Peeled Paint, Peacock Feathers and Seedless Preserves and Memento Tuxedo Black), sponges or ink blending tool and foam pads and craft mat or other protective surface.  (Pictured at left, except for the black ink and cardstock.)

Step 1
Step 1:  take a piece of white or cream cardstock (I used white for my piece cut to 2 3/4 x 4 1/4 inches) and ink the cardstock using complimentary colors of ink.  I used Ranger Distress Ink in Peeled Paint and Peacock Feathers for my piece and applied the ink using ink blending tools from Inkssentials.    Just a word to the wise, when using this part of the technique pick colors that are in the mid-range color-wise, ie not too light and not too dark.  I initially used inks that were too light and when I got to the final step in the process the first layer of color did not show up well at all.

Step 2
Step 2:  Once you are finished inking your cardstock piece, take your background stamp and ink it with black or other dark ink and stamp inked cardstock.  When stamping with background stamps I like to lay them face or rubber side up on my work surface, ink them up and then carefully lay my cardstock on the stamp.  I place a scrap piece of paper on top and then use my hand to rub over the surface.  This ensures a nicely stamped background.  After you have stamped your background use your heat tool to dry your cardstock piece.

Step 3
Step 3:    Once your cardstock is dry, ink up your single image stamp using watermark ink and stamp the image randomly on your piece, apply the clear embossing powder (as you can see in the photo showing step number 3) and heat set using your heat tool.


Our Daily Bread designs, Honeycomb Background, Single Butterfly,Friendship, Rosemary
Step 4
Step 4:  Choose a dark colored ink for the final sponging.  For my piece I decided to use Ranger's Seedless Preserves Distress because I liked the way it made the green and teal inks really pop on the test piece that I did.  Using your sponge or ink blending tool apply the ink to the entire piece.  As you apply the ink the embossed images will resist the final layer of ink allowing the colors underneath to be revealed.   Wipe off the excess ink from the image with a paper towel and you are done.

I finished my card off pretty simply because I really wanted the focus to be on the beautiful inked piece I created.  I matted the piece with black and teal cardstock and then adhered it to a white card base.  The verse from the ODBD set Friendship was stamped on white cardstock using black ink and die cut using a banner die.  I then adhered it to the piece along with the button.

I hope I inspired you to get out your inks and sponges and get just a little inky with your Our Daily Bread Designs stamps!!

Supplies:  
Cardstock:  PaperTrey Ink white ; Bazzill Smooth white; 
Ink:  Ranger Distress Inks in Peeled Paint, Peacock Feathers & Seedless Preserves; 
Dies: SB Banner die; 
Accessories: Twine:  May Arts; Button:  Stampin Up!; Heat Tool; clear embossing powder; ink blending tools 

Thanks ever so much Rosemary!!!  I am just dying to try this!  I have never seen it before and it's so fun!!!  Thank you for inspiring us to try something new!!!  

Please leave Rosemary some love here and then pop on over to Her Blog to see all her wonderful work!!!  You'll be glad you did!   

Don't forget that we have not 1 but 2 big sales going on right now!  Read all about them HERE (The Garden Collection Super Sale) and HERE (The 6 months 'til Christmas Sale)!  

I don't know if you noticed our fun "counter" at the top of the page... but it is counting down the time until our Release and Blog Hop on July 1, at 8am EDT!  You won't want to miss it!  There's LOTS of great stamps coming your way!  Hope to see you then!

 DT Coordinator

16 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

Wow, Wow, Wow!!! What a cool technique and what an amazing card sample! Rosigrl, you are da-bomb!!! I will definitely give this a try! Thanks so much for inspiring me every week!!! Mwaaaah!

Tammy said...

Rosemary!!
Uber great job!!! thank you for the detailed, clear tutorial:) Very lovely job! Thank you for sharing AND for allowing me to learn from you:) be blessed
~Beyond Masure
Tammy
www.urbeyondmeasure.com

Barb said...

Wow, what a fun technique, Rosie - such beautiful results! Love it! :)

Conniecrafter said...

I hadn't seen this technique before and your results are just lovely!!

Lagene said...

Fantastic technique! Thanks for the tutorial, Gorgeous card!

Marlena M. said...

This is stunning Rosemary! I love the look you accomplished here.

irishgreensue said...

Hey, Rosigrl!!

Who told on me?? I sure could use a jumpstart on my cardmaking, so you are right on with this great tutorial!! Turned out beautifully!! Will be sure to try it soon!!
Hugs!
Sue

Nancy said...

What a great tutorial, Rosemary! I must give this a try for sure!

Dawn said...

wonderful tutorial with fabulous results!! tfs!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a great tutorial with a fabulous end product, Rosemary!! Very creative and inspiring!! I will have to give it a go when I have a spare moment.
hugs,
Chris

Pati said...

Very cool technique, lovely colors! It's been a long time since I did something like this. I like the idea of stamping an open background image before sponging on the darker color, I will have to try this!

Cards By Jan said...

Wow Rosemary...this is just way too cool!! I will definitely have to give this a try...it looks like alot of fun, and your card is Fantastic!!
Hugs

Sparkly Engineer said...

Kewl technique very well described. I cannot wait to try it.

Greta said...

Absolutely love this technique, Rosemary! I do a lot of distressing, so this will fit right into my style. Thanks so much for the detailed & clear tutorial. Hugs, Greta

Rose said...

Beautiful technique! definitely moved to the top of my things to try list. TFS-

Hansi Brittain said...

Wow! Your dard is beautiful! I can't wait to try this technique. Thank you for the explanation. Your step by step photos make the process easy to understand.