Thursday, July 12, 2012

Time With Sabrina and those yummy Stick Pins!

 Hello friends!!!  I hope your week is going wonderfully, and that you are feeling God's presence in a very real way!  Today I'm so happy to be sharing a little about how our sweet Sabrina; makes her cards... and how she makes those trademark stick pins we all love so much!  If you've wondered how she does it... today's the day you'll find out!  Here's Sabrina...

Hello there stamping friends. Today I have the pleasure of sharing the "Time With" post with you. I have been trying to figure out what to do and I have decided that I will share with you how my cards come together and how I put the stick pins together that I add to a lot of my creations. I get so many e-mails asking how I make the pins and what it takes to make them so I will share with all of you. What do you think?  To make the entire process easier I took pictures all the way through, so be warned this post will be a little longer than usual. :D

I have added caption to all of the photos so I will not write much about it anymore, but if you have any questions you can always contact me. For the recipe on what I've used to create this card read the "Recipe" at the bottom of my post.

Here you go (I have added the caption below the pictures as well, for easier reading :D:D)

Selecting the paper I want to use

Here are the papers I chose from the Glitz Pretty in Pink pad

Now it is time to select the flowers I am going to use

Wait a minute, I need lace too!!! :D:D

One of my many boxes of beads

This little tray holds the beads I have selected for my stick pin. Now we are beginning to put a pin together

I have decided on which dies to use. Details are in the Recipe Box below!

Thought I’d share how I store some of my stamps! Eventually I will store all my ODBD stamps this way. I have added divider pages and stamp storage sheets into a regular Ring Binder. I love that I can see everything at once. I also add the month of the release on the insert. That way I can store my release month! ;D;D

These are the stamp storage sheet. I added a name label for each stamp set

Alright back on track. These are the layers I have decided to distress with my Tim Holtz distressing tool

And here we are after using the Distressing Tool

Here I have determined the layout I want to go for!

I’ve added the lace, glued all of the layers down. Getting ready for the flower arrangement!. Oh, and I have chosen to add a flourish. ;D;D

Flowers are arrange and secured. Flourish was cut and tugged under. What do you think?

Now on to the fun part. Let's get that stick pin going

Stickpin base plus spacers and a gorgeous glass bead and another spacer. I’d say we are off to good start!

More beads added and trying to decide if I like it or not. It is all about having fun!

Changed out some beads....do I like this? No, that is not it. ;D

Yep, those beads look better. Oh, and I added some hand dyed seam binding. Looks good, but I don’t like the rest of the pin showing!!!!

Added a few more beads to the end, but wait, the beads are not secure. Something is missing!!!!

To secure the beads on my stickpin I use these earring backings. I like that they are finishing the pin off nicely!

Here you see the backing on the stick pin. Nice and finished looking

and here is what the end result looks like


Recipe:

Paper: PTI Rustic Cream, Dark Chocolate, Sweet Blush, Glitz Pretty in Pink

Stamps: ODBD Flourished Verses

Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black, Tim Holtz Distressing Ink Vintage Photo

Accessories: Spellbinders Fancy Tags Two, Cheery Lynn Designs French Pastry Doily die, ODBD Spellbinders Custom Die Elegant Ovals, Mulberry roses and leaves, cream lace, pink lace, handmade stick pin (glass beads and glass pearls, silver spacers), hand dyed seam binding

Size: 5.5"x5.5"


Well, this is it! I hope you have enjoyed my time with post today. I am a strong believer that it is supposed to be fun to play with paper and all of the embellishments and I hope that this tutorial was informative enough for you to give it a try.

Thanks so much for hanging out with me.

Have a blessed and super creative day!

Hugs,  Sabrina

Thanks soooo much Sabrina!  You certainly broke this process down into bite sized pieces for us and I know our readers will love seeing the entire process.  Gotta love those stick pins... and the stamp storage is great too!  

Please leave Sabrina a little love here and then pop on over to her blog to see what else she's been up to!  

I hope you are enjoying our new schedule for the Shining the Light Challenge on Tuesdays!  There's still time to play along so why not join in?  You might be the next winner!  


Until next time.... Be Blessed!




DT Coordinator


37 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

What a fabulous post!!! Thanks, Sabrina, for sharing every step of your work of art!!! What a gorgeous card and the stick pin is over the top!!! Blessings, Angie

mary b. said...

Thank you so much for sharing. You make it look so easy! It would take me hours to make a creation like that. It is such a beautiful card as you always make the most gorgeous creations.thanks for the great tutorial.

Regina aka Mrs. Ham said...

Wow...Your card is quite lovely and your stick pin is gorgeous. Thanks for tutorial on making the pins. You have truely inspired me.

Marjorie said...

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!

kathi17 said...

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial Sabrina. Your card is gorgeous as always. I love the way you can add so many details and make it look elegant and beautiful. When I add a lot of details, my cards just look messy. :-)

Conniecrafter said...

Another Beautiful creation, I have always loved Sabrina's pins, gorgeous touch!!

Christine said...

Thanks for detailed instructions and a gorgeous card!

Marlena M. said...

Your creation is beautiful Sabrina~I love that the pin is kept from pricking fingers.

Becky said...

This is beautiful Sabrina, I love that stick pin, and what a great idea of using the backing for an earring.

Becky Dunham said...

Oh Sabrina, this is gorgeous! I love to make stick pins too, but I have never put beads all the way down like that and added a beautiful bottom - fabulous idea! I am heading out to buy some of those gorgeous backings today :) May I ask where you buy your stick pin bases? LOVE that card too - added to my inspiration file! Thanks so much for the tutorial - this is going to be so helpful to me! Hugs!

Tammy said...

Sabrina!!
You did a super job on the tutorial!! bUT---your creation is uber lovely:) Thank you so very much for all you do !! be blessed
~Beyond Measure
Tammy
www.urbeyondmeasure.com

Sandee said...

Oh my stars Sabrina!!!! Gorgeous!!!!!

irishgreensue said...

You never cease to amaze me with the way your mind works, and now we have seen it in the process!! Love the arrangement of flowers (always!) and the layout of all the dies you used!!

LOVE those stick pins but where do you get the earring backs - I never seem to be able to find them - at least not the kind that you show here!

Hugs for sharing all your 'secrets', sweet Friend!

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

You ladies sure know how to make a girl feel good!! Thanks so much for your sweet comments. For those of you that would like to know where I purchase my supplies, please e-mail me at sjbutterflydreams@gmail.com I will gladly share my sources with you. Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

JaniceAileen said...

Gorgeous card and super cool way tutorial on the stick pins!

E. Marie said...

Sabrina, your card is stunning and love the process. Thanks for sharing all the details.

Anonymous said...

Sabrina, Your card is just gorgeous and thanks so much for sharing the process you use. I love the pin and wondered where you get one so long as the ones I have seen are much shorter
Charlene Dahlberg

Jean C said...

Sabrina,
Your card is beautiful. The colors are wonderful and the embellishments are right on! I love the stick pin with the beads.

Jennifer said...

Sabrina, this is just gorgeous and I love your creative process!

Betty Wright said...

Absolutely beautiful, Sabrina! Love the scrumptious details and design! Fabulous details and a wonderful Time With post!

Denny said...

That was one of the best tutorials I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing your secrets in such detail, but it is the way in which you put things together that makes it all so special.

Pattie J. said...

Sabrina, this is an outstanding post on how to design, sort things for a beautiful card. I love it so detailed. One question, where do you purchase the stick pins and accessories for the stick pins? ...thanks for sharing....have a good day.

Karen W said...

Thanks so much, this is fabulous tutorial and I love all of the card!

Queen Mary said...

I agree -- Thanks Sabrina for the break down -- and how you store your ODBD stamps, and the reminder about earring backs -- I've been drawing a blank on that! And thank YOU Grace for inviting Sabrina to share this with us!

Charlotte Zweigoron said...

OK... got to see your tutorial here. I am going to have to get some of those earring things. I usually bend the end of the pin so it goes into a couple of layers of the paper 'cause I don't want anyone to get hurt! I like the beads showing at the bottom and much prefer your choice for capping off the pin to some of the little plastic things I've seen. TFS!

Linda w said...

Beautiful card. Thanks for sharing.

gettin' inky...

crazyoldsyd said...

From one of your favorite fans, this is just so pretty and simple. You make it look so pretty and fancy. I love it all, the stick pins are the cherry on top. Did you use Glossy Accents to glue your beads on the pin?

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What an absolutely stunning and beautiful card Sabrina!! Your regular beauty!! Thanks for sharing your step by step process and your gorgeous stickpins!!
hugs,
Chris

Cards By Jan said...

This is just breath-taking Sabrina!! Wow!!....Love every step, and especially the end result!!
Hugs

ScrappySandie said...

Hi Sabrina! What a lovely, lovely card! Thanks for the step-by-step on how you layout out a card and choose the elements you want. Thanks especially for the tips on making stickpins and the tidbit about using an earing back and extra beads at the bottom of the pin...great idea!
Sandie

Mary Friederichsen said...

Gorgeous Sabrina! Thank you for the tutorial! So elegant and beautiful!
Blessings and hugs,
Mary

Pati said...

Very nice creation, enjoyed the step photos. I like your idea for storing the stamps, curious what you use as the stamp storage sheet.

Kathy said...

Fabulous tutorial Sabrina!!! Your card is so GORGEOUS! I love seeing your creative process and pin making. I thought I had a lot of beads, lol! I love your storage ideas too! I need to get some of those earing backings for my pins on my next trip to Michaels! Thanks for sharing! Blessings! Kathy

Jan Marie said...

Just gorgeous and thanks so much for the step by step view and insight into your brain as you produce these beautiful works of art!! Stunning work, my dear sister and fellow "Zonan" !

Jennipher said...

Sabrina, I LUV you! I have tons of beads from when I attempted to make jewelry. Now I know exactly what I'm going to do with them!

Traci S. said...

This is what I have been looking everywhere for 2 years for! Thank you, Sabrina for showing me step-by-step how one of you lovely talented ODBD ladies make such inspirational cards! From step 1 all the way to the finish! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I hope you will see a big improvement in my cards soon!

He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

You May Receive 1-5 Cards!
http://He-IS-Able.blogspot.com

Lagene said...

WOWZERS the details that went into this GORGEOUS, ELEGANT, VINTAGE card!!!!