Thursday, July 26, 2012

Time with Sandee and Anything BUT a card!

Hello friends of ODBD!!!  I hope you are enjoying a wonderful week!  Today I'm thrilled to be spending some time with our sweet and ever so talented Sandee!  We are focusing our Time With posts on "Anything BUT a Card"... and wow has Sandee got a beautiful project to share with you today!!!  I'm sooo in love with this....I might be drooling!!!  So here's Sandee....

Our Daily Bread designs stamps, Faith, Sandee Shanabrough

Good morning friends!  

Sandee here to share a little tutorial on how I made this little book!  So glad to have you this morning!
I love altering little books!  I purchased a tiny 3x3 children's board book about 2 years ago at the thrift store where my Mom volunteers.  I knew one day I would alter it!  Yes, your fingers get all glue-y and ink-y but that is all part of the experience!  

This is what I started with along with several stamp sets, paint, designer paper and embellishments.
  
 

The stamp sets I used are :


 This is how the book looked after one coat of gesso.  It took only about 30 minutes for this coat to dry, but I did have to do the covers and just a couple of pages at a time to keep it from sticking together.


This is after one coat of white acrylic paint, which took longer to dry.  I did the gesso and paint process in the course of one full day, to make sure everything was dry.


 Next, I chose the papers I wanted to use.  In the back of the Prima Romantique pack of 6x6 papers, are a few sheets that are just four squares of some of the other designs in the pack.  This was perfect to cut into squares for my book.  I only had to trim a little off each square to make them fit!


The outside pieces are mod-podged on the front and back of the papers but the inside pages are only mod-podged on the back of the papers to glue them down.  Again, the mod podge process can take a little time to dry.  I did this stage in another day, just to ensure that everything was dry.  You can see a little bit of the paper tore while I was gluing it down.  But that's ok!  Just adds to the distressed feel!


Then I spent a little time inking up the edges with Antique Linen distress ink.

Now, I was ready to decorate!  Fun, fun, fun!!!

Our Daily Bread designs stamps: Faith, Designer Sandee Shanabrough

Can you tell I love lace?

Our Daily Bread designs stamps: Simple Things, Designer Sandee Shanabrough

I used Prima Canvas Butterflies spritzed with different shades of Glimmer Mists.

Our Daily Bread designs stamps: Faith, Designer Sandee Shanabrough

Bits of vintage lace, pretty seam binding and crochet thread were adhered with Beacon 3-in-1 glue.

Our Daily Bread designs stamps: Grow in Grace, Designer Sandee Shanabrough

My Stamp-a-ma-jig was helpful for placing the sentiments. I used Memento Brown ink.

Our Daily Bread designs stamps: Grow in Grace, Designer Sandee Shanabrough

I used my little SU! tag punch and lots of little teardrop stickers that I bought at Joann's years ago.

Our Daily Bread designs stamps: Faith, Designer Sandee Shanabrough

It is helpful when creating something like this, to use similar papers and embellishments throughout.  This makes for a nice cohesive finished creation.  Just a note: the book doesn't close very well so I used another piece of lace to tie it closed.  A pretty Prima Rose atop the butterfly, finishes off the cover.  The lace that is tied around the book spine is actually lace from my wedding bouquet 33 years ago!  How cool is that?!

Our Daily Bread designs stamps: Faith, Designer Sandee Shanabrough

Well, what do you think?  I hope this inspires you to alter your own board book.  It's fun!

Thanks for taking a few moments to spend time with me today.  Blessings to you and yours!

Thank you soooo much Sandee!!!  I just love this little book!  I love that the lace is from your wedding bouquet!!!  How special is that!!!  I don't know if I could have cut in to it myself, but it sure is a wonderful way to enjoy it again!!!

I do hope you all enjoyed Sandee's altered book!  Please leave her a little love here and then pop on over to her blog for more inspiration!!!  

Don't forget that Aug. 1 will be another new release and a blog hop introducing all the new sets!  Oh and did I mention dies?  Oops... I let that slip...but I AM going to say that you do NOT want to miss this release!!!  Come join us for a fantastic hop that I believe will be unique and ever so inspiring!  Hope to see you then! 


DT Coordinator


63 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

Sandee girl, this is AMAZING!!! Thanks for the instructions...wow, it sure was worth the drying time!!! Absolutely gorgeous....love the Prima butterflies and your "special" lace!! Blessings, Angie

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Gasp...Sandee, oh my goodness, how amazing!! I love this book how clever to use one of those board books! So very gorgeous my friend!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Traci S. said...

Wow, Sandee! This is phenomenal! I love all of the lace and the butterflies...especially the Scriptures. I have thought of using material from my wedding dress...this is a great idea...or maybe put some in my wedding album if I ever finish it! LOL I just love how this looks so feminine and delicate! These would be great gifts for brides to be, full of Scripture on being a good wife, or on Love. Thank you for giving such great directions...so clear, even I can follow them!

He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

You May Receive 1-5 Cards!
http://He-IS-Able.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Boah, your Book ist great.
Wonderful..........
Sorry, I'm German. :-)
Liebe Grüße Gaby

KFE Design said...

This is really fantastic - I would like to try to make a book like this. I must look after a board book next time I am shopping.Thanks for the tutorial. Greetings from Denmark

kathi17 said...

So beautiful Sandee, I love all of your choices for decorating it.

I wonder if those Oriental Trading Co. blank board books are still available??? I'll have to look and see!

Betty Wright said...

Sandee, this is absolutely gorgeous! Stunning details, design, and finished look! Beautiful!

trisha too said...

Beautiful little book, Sandee--little books are kind of my thing right now . . .

:)

Lisa said...

gorgeous. i haven't done a board book mini in years & I just came across one while cleaning. I'll take this as a sign. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sandee said...

Thanks y'all! I truly enjoyed making this little book!!! I really appreciate your sweet encouragement!!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Hey Sandee!! I popped in to see your creation yesterday and thought I had left you a comment...Sorry!! Anywho...Stunning use of a baby book. Each and every page is gorgeous!!
hugs,
Chris

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.

Sherry Kushibab said...

Just saw this when I was hopping. Oh Sandee, how lovely and what a great idea. Love the detailed instructions. You have certainly given me some ideas. Just beautiful!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Robyn said...

Sandee, I just followed a tree link on pinterest and couldn't stop!! LOVE this book. I am sure I have a stash of board books, I collect them from time to time in the dollar stores! I am fascinated with the scripture focus, no pictures necessary! Great gift ideas!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

buy ativan online ativan side effects reviews - ativan toxicity

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.