Thursday, September 20, 2012

Time With.... Dawn!

Hello friends!!!  I hope you have been enjoying a wonderful week!  

Today, we will be spending time with our creative and talented Dawn Lusk!  Dawn always thinks outside of the box and comes up with some great ideas!  I think you'll enjoy this one as well.... so here's Dawn!


Hi, I'm excited to be sharing this project with you today!
I had a lot of fun creating it for my Time With post!

This is ODBD Keep Climbing, stamped and masked, colored with Copics and sponged with distress inks with my homemade cloud template. {Angie has a good tutorial on clouds here!}



Do you think my frame is wood or paper?
Well... it's an awesome new product from Flower Soft called Scrap It Frames! You can cover them with designer paper, paint, or stamp like I did!



Here is how I started...
make a mask out of a large sticky note
Set aside until you're ready to assemble.
Next is frame work!
I painted the edges of the frame with Gesso for fun... letting it dry thoroughly.
"Happy Accidents" are always a good thing... you'll find out why later!
{I wasn't sure where this was going!}

Then, I stamped the edges with ODBD Wood Background using Walnut Stain Distress ink. After each edge was stamped, I sprinkled with clear embossing powder and heat set. {Distress ink stays wet long enough to emboss if you work quickly}

Here, all the outer edges are stamped and embossed.
  Then taking a variety of Distress inks {bundled sage, weathered wood, tea dye, frayed burlap}, I sponged over the embossed Wood Background, which because of the embossing, resisted the colors. Also because of the Gesso first, the inks stayed wetter longer and blended nicely.
When I was satisfied with my wood color, using an iron {no steam}, and several sheets of copy paper; I ironed over each section which melted away the embossing.  

The Scrap It Frame is easy to put together, this shows where my scene was placed.
The corner support {sponged with same colors but not gesso'd}
I stamped and embossed the verse and sponged with Frayed Burlap while still in the
Spellbinders Ornate Artisan Tags and Accents die, then popped it atop ODBD Elegant Ovals.
It's nestled in  Spellbinders  Foliage.

Lots of possibilities, just use your imagination...and of course Our Daily Bread designs!

Thanks so much Dawn!   What a great frame!!! I think ODBD's Wood Background stamp is the PERFECT stamp for this frame!!!!  LOVE it... and love all the details! 

Thanks for spending some time with us here today and I hope you were inspired to try this yourself!  Gift giving time is right around the corner, and what a beautiful gift this would make!  Please leave Dawn a little love here, and be sure to pop on over to her personal blog too, to see more of what she's been up to!

Blessings,
DT Coordinator


11 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

Wow!!! What an amazing project, Dawn!!! Thanks for inspiring me to go above and beyond normal stamping techniques....must have some gesso now!! Blessings, Angie

Betty Wright said...

GASP! Absolutely amazing and so beautifully detailed, Dawn! LOVE that stamped frame, too! Amazing finished project!

Tammy said...

Dawn!!
Anointed, Fun, Fabulous---to the moon and back----need I say more??? AWESOME projects and thank you so very much for sharing plus teaching us how to achieve this awesome look:) be blessed
~Beyond Measure
tammy
www.urbeyondmeasure.com

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

GASP is right on this amazing project, Dawn!! WOW, absolutely stunning my friend! TFS! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Jojorenee said...

Beautiful project Dawn. Love the animation!

Conniecrafter said...

Such a Gorgeous mountain range you have made and with the dimension it is great, the frame looks terrific just like aged wood, love the greenery in the corner with the verse!

Kelley said...

LOVE!!!! And it will PROUDLY be displayed in the ODBD booth!!

Cards By Jan said...

Wow Dawn...Thud went my heart.....this is Fantastic, I love the new frame idea, ,its awesome..wow!!
Hugs

Pattie J. said...

WOW! what a project, and what a spectacular result. simply amazing..thanks for sharing...hugs

Sandee Shanabrough said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Dawn!!! Love that frame!

Traci S. said...

This is a wonderful project, Dawn! I love how real the frame looks...and the view is so amazingly colored. I know you are incredible at landscapes! Great job!

He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

You May Receive 1-5 Cards!
http://He-IS-Able.blogspot.com