Thursday, January 10, 2013

Time With Lori!

Hello friends!  I hope you are staying well in this season that seems to have almost everyone ill with one thing or another!!! It certainly has been a challenging season for many of us... but we are thankful that God gives us the strength that we need when we pray!  So you pray for us... and we'll pray for you our dear friends, and this too shall pass!

To brighten your week... we are spending some special time with our sweet and talented Lori Ulrich!  Lori has a very clever project to share and it has so many possibilities!  I know you'll enjoy it... so here's Lori!


So glad you could stop by and visit! Today I am going to show you how to take a plain metal mint tin and turn it into a fun gift! I thought this would be a great little gift of encouragement. Here's the project we will make today.

And what is my favorite treat? Chocolate... wrapped in custom candy wrappers!

- Here are the supplies you will need -
Our Daily Bread Designs' - Fellowship Sentiments & Sweet William Small
Altoid Mint Tin
Coordinating Designer Papers (I used 3 DP for this project)
 Coordinating Ink for Sentiment (Denim)
Distress Ink (I Black Soot Distress Ink)
Craft Knife
Cutting Mat
Ruler
Scissors for detail cutting
Pencil for tracing
Modge Podge
Foam Applicator
Card Stock (6 pieces 1 1/2 x 2 3/4 inches)
ScorTape
6 Hershey Miniature candy bars
Embellishments (blossoms, twine, paper punch foliage)

Coat lid of Altoid tin with Modge Podge. Press lid onto back of desired paper and let dry
.

Trim edges of paper with your craft knife. Use scissors to cut off any remaining edges. You don't want your paper to overlap!

Use distress ink to add a bit of age to the edge.  See all those bits of paper?  I told you those scissor would come in handy!  :-) 

Take your pencil and trace the bottom of your tin three times. You will use one to cover the bottom of your tin later and two to cover the inside. I used a white pencil for tracing since my papers were dark.  Distress each with ink and set aside.

Next measure the edges of your tin, top and bottom.  Measure your bottom edge from the bottom of the tin to the closure.  (Notice the way I am measuring....)  Each tin is different so make sure to measure them. Cut two pieces of paper to cover each edge.  Normally a 12 x 12 piece of paper is long enought to do this.  Distress the edges of each piece with ink.
    

Apply Modge Podge on the top edge and adhere your strip of paper. After it dries add the bottom piece as well. I cut the paper near the hinges (on top) after applying to make it easier to open. Just a tiny cut will do!

Glue one piece to the bottom (outside) and carefully trim with your scissors. Once the bottom is secure, carefully trim the remaining two pieces inside the traced line. This takes a delicate hand. The goal is to get each one to fit snuggly inside your tin.  Once the top and bottom fit, secure them with Modge Podge and let dry.

Coat the inside with Modge Podge and allow to dry.  In the meantine, stamp a sentiment (Fellowship Sentiments) on a bit of card stock and trim. Glue to lid. Embellishment with twine, foliage punches and mulberry roses. Take your 6 pieces of 1 1/2 x 2 3/4 inch card stock and stamp with sentiments. I used some from ODBD's Sweet William - Small set. I wanted the top three to be Faith, Hope and Love! Adhere card stock band to miniature cardy bars with ScorTape and place inside.
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a great time making your own "thank you" tins!


Thanks so much Lori!  I have a couple of these tins and I've been a bit intimidated on how to get the perfect fit for the insides... thanks for the explanation!  Now I'm thinking these would make great thank you gifts for some of the wonderful  nurses who took such great care of my husband this past week!  Thanks for the idea and beautiful project!

Please leave Lori some love here and then pop on over to her blog to see some more of her incredible art!  You won't be disappointed!  

I hope  you have a blessed day... 


DT Coordinator

 

15 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

Wow, what a fabulous project! Thanks for the tutorial...and inspiration, Lori! I have so many items to "re-purpose", but needed a nudge to get started! Mwaaah!

Christine Harrop said...

Super tutorial. I really must have a go at this. Christine

Conniecrafter said...

Very pretty, I think I may have a tin that needs some pretty papers added to it, very cute idea with the chocolates too!!

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Lori, girl, this is such a fun little gift idea! Oh, the possibilities are endless with the new stamps from the Fellowship Sentiments...perfect for lots of people at church....love it! I hope you are feeling better! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Diana Nguyen said...

So cute! Such a perfect little gift for someone, especially with Valentine coming up!

scrappingnana said...

Great project. Love it. Thank you for the tutorial.

irishgreensue said...

Love this, Lori!!

A very versatile type gift that can come in handy when you need something quick!

Sparkly Engineer said...

What a coincidence, I am working with altoid tins today too. I didn't have the cute chocolates with the wonderful messages though.

Saints Rule! said...

Thanks everyone! I REALLY like the idea of Valentine treats! I might go back to the drawing board... :-)

Lori

Kathy said...

I love this, Lori! I knew I was saving these tins for a reason! This is a super cute idea and I love the sentiments on the wrappers! Blessings! Kathy

Carol P said...

Lori, Love your beautiful tin, they are fun to do and make great gifts!

LaDawn said...

What a great idea. Always looking for something to do for people at church who need a little thank you. This will be fun.

Dawn said...

so cute, Lori and great tutorial!

Cards By Jan said...

What an awesome idea Lori!! Such a nice way to decorate an old tin laying around and use it as a gift holder...awesome!!
Hugs

Rs To Gold said...

Very fairly, I think I may have a tin that needs some fairly documents included to it, very lovely concept with the sweets too!!
Cheap RS 3 Gold
buy runescape gold
Buy Runescape 3 Gold