Thursday, March 21, 2013

Time With Chris and some Easter Decor!

Hello friends of ODBD!  Today we have a special Easter Project for you that our talented and sweet Chris Olsen has created.  I know you are going to love it!  Enjoy!!!

Hello Friends!!It is Chris here!!  Since Easter is just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to decorate the house for Easter and  share a project I am working on using something other than  paper.  I just love  the new Happy Spring and/or Pussy Willow and Egg stamp set so I had to use it for my project.  When I think of Easter I think of the new life we have in Christ since He washed our sins away on the cross.  Since eggs symbolize new life...this seemed to be the perfect center piece.



Here is the list of materials needed for this project:
-wooden eggs (mine were primed in white and purchased at Michaels)
-acrylic paint (colors of your choice, I chose pink, green, blue, and yellow and pearl white)
-larger flat brush for painting the base of the egg in paint
-small delicate brush for painting in details
-stamps (I chose Words of Faith and Happy Spring/Pussy Willow and Egg)
-scissors
-Stazon black ink
-Spanish Moss
- Candle holder (mine is silver)
-plate
-ribbon for bow (I also used the Becca's Bow Maker)

Since it is very difficult to actually stamp and paint with one hand and take pictures at the same time, I will not be showing you these steps but rather some basic steps.

Basic Instructions:

1. When I first began, I began with a white primed wooden egg that looked like this.  The bottom of the egg is flat so it stands.


2. I then used Acrylic paints in green, turquoise, pink, and yellow to paint the eggs.


 This is what they looked like after they were painted.


3.  In order to have more versatility with the Pussy Willow and Egg stamp set or Happy Spring, I cut the pussy willow branches apart.


4. I then stamped the branches coming up from the bottom of the egg using Stazon Black Ink.


5. After stamping one of the Words of Faith on each egg, I painted the eggs.  I liked the look of a fuzzy pussy willow since they are a lot like cotton so I painted insides with pearl white and did not need to be precise to give them a fuzzier look.  Although this picture does not show it, I also speckled the eggs.


6.  I painted several of these eggs and then put a silver candle holder in the middle of my bronze plate.  I placed Spanish moss on top of the candle holder and adhered an egg with a glue gun.  I then placed more spanish moss around the plate putting holes in the spanish moss to position the eggs in.  I tied a pink bow and adhered it to the candle holder.  

This is the end product:


I hope you are somehow inspired by my project!! Thanks for stopping by!!

Thank you so much Chris!  I think this is just the neatest idea and so timely for our Easter decorations!  I love the idea of having beautiful decorations that will keep beautifully year to year, and they focus our attention on the true meaning of the holiday!  I think many will be inspired to try this, so thank you so much!

Please leave Chris some love here and then pop on over to her blog to see what she's been up to!  

Blessings,





DT Coordinatorexample image

18 comments:

Joyce Casaldi said...

Stunning project!

Becky said...

These eggs are gorgeous Chris, awesome idea.

seamom said...

WOW! Beautiful! ...and it will be ready for each Easter following!

Mary Ann said...

OH WOW!!!Love it,AWEsome,Thanks for sharing...

Sue D said...

FAbulous idea!

Angella D. Crockett said...

What a clever idea!!!! Thanks for the creative inspiration! HUGS!!

scrappingnana said...

Wow, what a great project and very creative. Love that it shares a message for Easter.

Mary Marsh said...

this is a great project Chris and a creative idea for decorations-love it

Lagene said...

I love your project, it gets to the heart of Easter!

Diana Nguyen said...

What a great idea! Lovely centerpiece for Easter!

Annette Sowden said...

What a wonderful project. These are magnificent.

TLady said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOOOOOOOVE decorated eggs!!!!!!! :) (I have a couple I leave setting out all year round!)

Conniecrafter said...

Very creative and pretty Chris, love how they look so real, great colors and speckling, neat arrangement!

Mary Cardini-Anderson said...

Beautiful. Thanks for the idea.

Mary

Sandee Shanabrough said...

Chris this is so creative and beautiful!!! Love it!

Cards By Jan said...

This is a beautiful and fun project Chris...Love how you used the new Pussy Willows on the eggs...Stunning!!
Blessings & Hugs

Kathy said...

So fun and creative, Chris! Nice that you can used them each year for decorating! Blessings! Kathy

Kelley said...

Awesome idea!! So cute!!