Thursday, April 4, 2013

Time With Audrey!!!

 Hello friends!  Today I am thrilled to be spending time with one of our newest Challenge Team members, Audrey Hiltkie  If you've been viewing our challenges lately, you've surely noticed her beautiful work!!!  She has a great project for you today, and I know you'll enjoy it! So here's Audrey....

Hi Everyone - hope you're enjoying this wonderful Spring Season.  I'm in Virginia and there's no doubt it's Spring here - with warmer temperatures (finally!), and especially with all the precious birds chirping and singing in my yard and at the feeders!

It's Audrey here, and I'm happy to share a few tips and photos on how to make a quick and easy gift box.  This box works perfectly for hand-made cards or any other small gift items that will fit inside.  I made a similar box last year and gave it to my Mom with a handmade necklace inside.  For Christmas that year she gave me a gift, using the SAME beautiful box!!  And she requested that I re-gift the box back to her at some point in the future.  It is now our special little gift box - a gift in a gift, that keeps on giving.

To make this special box I started with two pieces of card stock - one for the Bottom, and one for the Top.  The bottom (larger) piece is cut to 7-3/4" x 9", the top is cut to 6-7/8" x 8-1/8".  The bottom piece is scored at 1-1/2" on all sides, the top (smaller) piece is scored at 1" on all sides.  I punched a decorative border around the top piece of my box, then to create the folded corner pieces I made a cut along the score lines at each corner, then added score tape (see below):

Box - Cut, Scored, Unasssembled
Then I folded and adhered each of the corner flaps/pieces to the inside, creating a box!!  Below is a photo that shows both finished pieces.  The top is just slightly larger than the bottom and fits perfectly over the top.  The finished size is just about 5" x 6" and 1-1/2" deep.



Box - Assembled
Now I'm ready to decorate!!  I'm going with a vanilla and black theme, so the only real color will be the sweet House Finch.  I chose some fun black and vanilla papers, my new Spellbinders Border Die, and a couple of coordinating small oval dies to use for my box shown below:

Papers, Dies and Stamp set used for this project
After die-cutting the papers and sentiment tag I stamped the bird image on white card stock, and with the photo of a real house finch as a visual aid, I colored the image using Copic markers.  Then I carefully and delicately cut out the bird and dogwood image.

Google Photo with my Colored Image
Once the image was cut out and ready, I decided to add a little natural-looking depth to the bird by using a couple of Stylus tools.  I love using this technique on birds and flowers - it adds natural curves and shadows, and seems to bring the image to life!  I use two stylus tools (see below) to carefully swish or push the the chest and wing areas - from the BACK side of the image.  For this design I added a bit of glassy glaze to the bird's beak and eye, and little dots to the flower centers for added interest.  Little things like this are hard to see in the photo, but they add so much detail in real life!

Delicately Cut out Image
I'm almost ready to decorate the box - just need a few more finishing touches, like sponging a little color around the sentiment and curvy border area, adding some foam tape for dimension, and of course adding the ribbon/bow to hold everything together!  Below is another photo which includes some of other supplies I used (Distress Ink for sponging and Copics for coloring, etc.).

Other Supplies Used
At this point I added card stock behind the paper panels for strength and foam/dimensionals to define and separate the layers.  The lace and ribbon are cut and ready - so now it's time for the fun part - seeing it all come together.

Final Assembly
I added the lace, sentiment and bird, added the black ribbon and adhered all the layers.  Note that the ribbon flows freely between/under the layers, so it can be easily untied and retied as the box is used.  I love how quickly this project came together, and I know when my Mom sees it she'll request a gift in it LOL!!!  I especially love the larger sentiment here, and the wonderful little singing Finch and Dogwood image.

Completed Box - Front View

This last photo above shows the open box with the ribbon untied and a few hand made cards inside.

Open Box showing Inside
Something very cool happened while I was working on this project - a sweet little House Finch paid me a visit - in real life!!  I happened to glance out my front door right when this little bird was perched on my hanging porch light!!  My front porch is enclosed on two sides and has a ceiling, and I've never seen any bird in that area, let alone one that was perched on the light.  That little bird looked at me, cocked his head and we just stared at each other - he looked so sweet.  It was like we had our own special little moment!!


Here's the recipe for my project:
  • ODBD Sing to the Lord Stamp Set
  • My Minds Eye Paper Pack - The Station
  • Spellbinders A2 Curved Borderabilities and Oval/Scallop Dies, MS Border Punch
  • Black ink/Distress Inks for Sponging
  • Copic Markers: E000, E07, E35 and E55, RV00, RV10, RV17, RV19, RV56 (Bird) / E000, RV00, RV04, RV10 (Flowers) / YG21, YG23, YG25 (Branch/leaves)

Thank you for stopping by - I hope this tutorial has inspired you in some way, and I hope you've enjoyed your time here today.

Blessings and Hugs!
Audrey

Thank YOU Audrey!  I love your gift box so very much... and you are right... those little things make all the difference in the world!  

Please leave Audrey some love and why not pop on over to her blog to see what else she's been up to?  I know she'd love to have you visit!  

Have a blessed week!






DT Coordinator


19 comments:

Saints Rule! said...

Beautiful Audrey!

Becky said...

Gorgeous box..

Diana Nguyen said...

Just gorgeous, Audrey! Love the idea of passing the box back and forth (though I may have a hard time letting go!) and that it is full of more beauties by you!

Angella D. Crockett said...

Audrey, this is one of the most beautiful gift boxes I've seen! Thanks for the instructions! I love every single beautiful detail! You inspire me constantly and are a true blessing to me and our team! HUGS!!!

Vintage Rose said...

Very stunning box.

The Mom said...

Audrey, I absolutely love this! I can't wait to get my first order from ODBD. I learn more every day.

TLady said...

SOOO PRETTY Audrey!!!! We have lots of wildlife (wild beasty things too) around our house too & I enjoy every bit of it! :) (Well, maybe NOT the "wild beasty things!" :) )

Kathy said...

This is gorgeous Audrey! I love the cream and black with your beautifully colored finch! Awesome tutorial! Blessings! Kathy

Dawn said...

oh-my-stars-and-garters, Aurdrey... how GORGEOUS!!!
love,love,love!!
tfs!

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

GASP....Audrey, girl, this is beyond words gorgeous! Love the colors you chose and your coloring....awesome! Ahhh, if you have no one to give this beauty to, I can e-mail you my address, LOL! ;D;D Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

pam124 said...

Audrey, you really, really, really put some love and time into this beautiful box. The gift that keeps gifting! How amazing about the finch appearing while making this card. It doesn't surprise me based on what I've seen and heard from you in the past. It reminds me how special you are in this world. You have really outdone yourself and WOW a tutorial. You are a brave one! Hugs!

Karen W said...

Wow congrats and this project is gorgeous!!

Angelique Vela said...

Thank you for sharing this tutorial. I love your box. I'll definitely be making my own version. Oh, and the bird incident, how special that moment truly was.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a stunning box Audrey!! I just love your coloring of the bird and your unique design!! Gorgeous project and tutorial!!
hugs,
Chris

Conniecrafter said...

Awesome!!! Coloring of the bird is just gorgeous, I love that curved border die, lovely design and thanks for sharing the box dimensions!

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

THis is so pretty, Audrey! Your colors and papers are wonderful and I love you box design.

Lagene said...

Gorgeous decoration for your wonderful box!

Cards By Jan said...

Wow Audrey...Your box Fabulous...you are one talented lady, I love your work...ty for sharing, I will have to try this box, but I need to check into a curvy Nestability...love the looks of them....
Awesome tutorial!!
Hugs

Cathymac said...

Your gift box is just amazing, Audrey! Love the vintage colors, the beautifully colored finch,...and the curvy border. The extra embossing with your stylus really brings life and dimension to the finch and blossoms! Thanks so much for sharing your box and your talent! Blessings!