Thursday, May 16, 2013

Time With Diana!

Hello friends!  I hope you all enjoyed a happy Mother's Day! 

I am thrilled to introduce you to one of our Challenge Team members who is sharing her very first Time With project with us today.  I think she has a totally fun and creative idea, and something that would be so great to do with your kids or grand kids!  So sit back and enjoy, and be inspired!!!

Hi!  My name is Diana and I am excited to share my little project with you.  I am a mother of four little boys (8, 7, 5, and 3) so my project (and much of my life) is geared more towards them.  But it can easily be used by anyone with a large number of people to pray for.  It is a prayer bucket!  With a few stamps, craft sticks, and mod podge, it works wonderfully as a prayer tool during family devotional time.

As you can see from above, we have a LOT of people we pray for and while we would love to pray for each by name every day, that's not a realistic option.  We have in there aunts, uncles, grandparents, our home church group members, teachers, 23 first cousins...

I started with a little wooden pot I picked up from ACMoore and used black (but of course any color would work) acrylic paint to cover the inside and the edges. 


Then I labeled and traced out the sides of the pot because the sides are not all equal.


I used several images from my collection of ODBD stamps to decorate each side.  I lightly stamped the images and then in black ink I used verses that I thought would go well with the prayer theme.  I cut out the sides and sponged the edges with black (not shown) so it would blend in with my pot. 


ODBD Stamp Sets Used:

A light layer of mod podge to glue the paper on



and then another layer on top to keep little fingers from trying to peel off my work. It also seals in the paper and gives it a nice polished look.



For the craft sticks, I put the names on the sticks but then the kids had a hard time knowing who they were praying for with extended family members they only see once or twice a year.  So I added pictures of their cousins using mod podge to the other side of the stick - that will help when we get together for family reunions!  Every night, we each pull out a stick and pray for those 6 persons by name and lay that aside until we've gone through everyone.  Then we start over! 



I hope you find this project useful!  Thanks so much for looking!

Thanks so much Diana!  I think this is so creative, and a great way to teach our children to pray for family and friends daily, and a great reminder for those of us who are older as well!  I love projects that are not only pretty and fun, but truly useful as well, and this one certainly is!!! 

Please leave Diana some love here, and then stop by her SCS Gallery to see her other beautiful work!  

Thanks so much for stopping by and spending time with us today!

Blessings,


9 comments:

Francie G. said...

What a beautiful idea! A wonderful way to get the whole family involved! Fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

Angella D. Crockett said...

Such a creative idea! I love how you are teaching your little ones to pray for others! God bless!

Gina Ables said...

I love this idea. Welcome to this wonderful design team. I can't wait to see what projects and ideas are next!

Sonia said...

What a great idea! This could work for anyone, not just kids. I know I often tell people I will pray for them and then before I know it I have a lot of people added to my prayer list and it can be easy to miss someone. This way you continue to pray for that person even if it is not every day.

Olga said...

what a fantastic idea, TFS!

Kathy said...

What an awesome idea, Diana! Great for any age, but what a wonderful way to teach your kids to pray for others!

Cathymac said...

Your prayer bucket is a wonderful way to remember to pray for those friends and family members who have needs. Adding the photos on the prayer sticks to help children remember who they are praying for is a brilliant idea! How often do we say we will pray for someone and then forget. This tool could be helpful for anyone and your detailed tutorial clearly shows how to make a similar one. Thanks so much for sharing this fabulous idea!

Cards By Jan said...

What an awesome idea....I love your lil pot, and the prayer sticks!! Awesome tutorial...TFS

Conniecrafter said...

Wonderful idea, and I love the idea of the photo's for the younger kids, we were in the military and lived far from family and this would have been a great idea for my daughter.