Thursday, June 27, 2013

Technique Time With Julie!

Hello friends!  Today we are thrilled to be spending time with our technique guru... Julie!  Julie always has such interesting backgrounds, or colorful ways of stamping, and today she is going to let us in on a couple ideas that I think you will really enjoy!  So here's Julie!

 Hello everyone!

After much pondering, I finally took the suggestion of an ODBD teammate and decided to show you a technique today. If you're like me, you've been seeing a lot of "gel plate" background techniques using ink or acrylic paint. I haven't bought a gel plate yet, but then again, I don't "really" need one. The gel plate backgrounds are a new version of what was called "mono printing". I even did a tutorial for Splitcoast way back in 2009 on the technique. So for me it's, No Gel Plate? No Problem! 

I have lots of pictures to show, so get comfy. And I'm going to show two different plates I used...one is a plain piece of glass (from an 8x10 picture) and the other is a 8x8 hot glue gun mat made out of silicone or something similar. Both work wonderfully and while I'm using pigment ink in both examples, you can also use acrylic paint. You can certainly try other mediums, but with dye based inks or watercolors, you probably won't be able to do techniques like stamping or combing because the ink is just too thin and will run together. So let's get started. I'll show the two different plates and also some fun things to do w/ your brayer, stamps & stencils. The pictures are all annotated and just click to enlarge.

















This is my finished card using the background above.

And these are the Copics I used to color the clover.
Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. 
Supplies:
ink: Versafine Onyx (for images), Colobox pigment inks in citrine, surf, seaglass, fresh green, evergreen, teal, celadon
paper: Neenah white, dk teal
accessories: ODBD clover die, Spellbiders mega oval & Radiant rectangles dies, Copic markers, Aegean silver embossing powder, stencil, sequin waste strip, combing tool, 8x10 picture glass, 8x8 hot glue gun mat, small brayer

Thanks sooo much Julie!  I really enjoyed your "no gel plate needed" ideas!!! I know I for one need to play around more with different backgrounds so thanks for the inspiration!  I know many of our readers will want to do so too!  And.... what a GORGEOUS card!!!

Please leave Julie some love here and hop on over to her blog to be wowed by her creative talent!

I also want to thank ALL of our design team and challenge team members who have faithfully contributed to these Time With posts over the past many years!  This will be our last Time With post for now.... we hope you have enjoyed the tutorials and ideas all have added here!  Coming up with tutorials and fresh new ideas can become stressful for the designers, so for now we are going to take a little break.... but don't worry.... you will still see lots of awesome work from all our teams!  

Thanks so much for joining us!!!

Blessings, 

DT Coordinator


19 comments:

Lagene said...

Super FANTASTIC tutorial! Thanks so very much! I love your cards!

Dawn said...

Awesome tutorial, Julie!!! TFS

TLady said...

WOW JULIE!!!!!!!!! THIS IS GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! AND then added to your card!!!!!!!TOTALLY FABULOUS!!!!!!!!:) THANKS for the tutorial!!!!!! :)It was FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!:)
I can see how the New Techniques WOULD be stressful for the Designers! I get stressed when trying to think of new techniques too!!!!!!!:) And then you have your FAVORITE TECHNIQUES....! :)

Sillyfilly said...

This makes making some pretty bg a little less intimidating. I don't do this well. I have tried. For one thing I got rid of my craft ink pads. Dumb dumb dumb!!! I will be giving this a try after I purchase some new inks.

Thanks for sharing your talent.
Sylvia

scrappingnana said...

Wow, what a fabulous and creative idea. Thanks so much for the tutorial and your card is gorgeous.

Conniecrafter said...

Great tutorial and it made for a lovely background for your Beautiful card!!! Lovely coloring too!

Angella D. Crockett said...

Holy moly!!!! What a fabulous tutorial, Julie!!! Thanks so, so much for the inspiration. Your cool techniques help me to think outside of the box! You ROCK!!! Mwaaah!

Sabrina said...

Very inspiring, Julie. With all the gelli-printing cropping up, believe it or not I was actually thinking of your mono-printing tutorial over on SCS, and hoping to try that as a first step. Since you've expanded it a bit more here, it's definitely giving me the motivation to try it out soon. Thank you.

Mary Marsh said...

this is a fabulous tutorial Julie-thanks for all the detail-I want to try this one for sure

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Oh my word, Julie, girl, I am so happy you chose a technique for your "Time with" post!! Love that you give so many tips on how a different look can be achieved...Thank You!!! I will have to get a stencil and try the stencil version...looks so cool. Wait a minute, I think I have some of that funny looking ribbon with the holes it, I think it is called punchanella or something like that, I bet that would work too. You've got me thinking now! Thanks so much, Julie!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Cathymac said...

WOW, Julie...what a wonderful technique! And since I love trying new techniques, I will definitely have to try this...so glad I put off purchasing a gel plate! I even have a piece of screen I can use for a stencil! Hugs!

Cards By Jan said...

Wow..what an awesome tutorial!! Love your colours, and awesome presentation!!

Jean Bullock said...

What a great tutorial.

Kelley said...

Julie, this is such an awesome background! I love the different colors! AWESOME!

Jan Marie said...

Incredible tutorial and technique ideas you've shared! Great job and beautiful work!!

Cheryl (aka CherylQuilts) said...

Julie, this is absolutely a GORGEOUS card! And you have done a fabulous tutorial that does definitely help take the "terror" out of making such a beautiful background! You are amazing and so talented! Hugs!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial, Julie, and what a gorgeous card!

Kittie said...

Wonderful tutorial, Julie! Thank you so much.

Kerri said...

Thanks for sharing!
I dont really want to buy one and now seeing these wonderful ideas, I wont bother :)