Hello friends! Today was scheduled to be Becca's "Time With" post, but since she is no longer on the team, we had an empty spot and I thought I'd just share a project I have been working on. I love shabby chic and decided I wanted to do a wall hanging gift that's perfect for a bride or a special anniversary... or just for one you love! I am sorry my tutorial was put together in a hurry, but I hope you'll enjoy the project and that you can glean some ideas from it.
Here is the list of materials needed for this project:
Unfinished Wood Frame (Hobby Lobby $3.99)
Gesso and Acrylic Paint in your choice of colors
Fine Sand Paper
Papers: My Mind's Eye Bella Bella, Crafty Secrets double sided, K&Co Brenda Walton, Cream Card Stock, Light weight paper for accordion fold in coordinating color, paper doily.
ODBD Stamps: Recipe Card Lines, Happy Marriage Recipe, Kind Hearts, Sentiments Collection, Sweet William Small, Love, Sewn with Love
Inks: Memento Black, TH Distress Black Soot Marker, Distress Inks in Tattered Rose, Stormy Sky, Bundled Sage, Brushed Corduroy, Stampabilities Pigment Ink in Light Pink and Baby Blue.
Accessories: 2 Laser Cut Wood Birds (Michaels), ODBD Custom Recipe & Tags Die, ODBD Custom Apron, & Tools Die, MS Bough Punch, Corner Rounder punch, Prima and ZVA Creative Flowers, MS string, Recollections Brad, Lace, Spellbinders Back to Basics Tag, hole punch, hot glue gun, Fiskars Finger Blade, Score Pal.
Basic Instructions for frame:
Sand the frame and paint with a coat of Gesso. Sand again with fine sandpaper, and then paint with Acrylic Paint of choice. I used Americana Light Mocha.
Sand lightly again and then antique with Distress Inks (I used T.Holtz Distress in Brushed Corduroy). I also took a marker and colored a line around the exterior of the frame's inside edge, which will give a little room for "forgiveness" if I cut the paper just a little off. :)
Next I cut the MME Bella Bella paper for the background paper. This is thin paper so I just cut it slightly larger and laid it in the frame, then using my finger nail, I worked it in to the edge of the frame, making a good fold line, and using my craft blade, I cut along the outside edge. I sponged around the outside edge of the dp with brushed corduroy to give an aged effect. I adhered that to the frame.
Now my frame was ready to be decorated. The main focal point of my finished art piece was going to be a Recipe File I wanted to make, much like a coupon file which expands as it's filled. I will try to give you the step by step instructions to create this file, because it makes a fun presentation for many things. I used it to focus on different ingredients for a happy marriage, but you could use the recipe file categories and put actual recipes in each section too, and how fun would that be for a new bride, a shower, or other fun family gift? Anyway... here are the instructions to make the file:
Cut Heavy Double Sided Designer Paper (Crafty Secrets used here) to 8" x 5.5"
Score at 3", 6.5", and fold and burnish folds. With corner rounder punch, round the two top edges on the smallest section (which would be the flap that closes the file).
Cut 2 pieces of Light Weight paper (I used light cream copy paper) to 4.5" x 2 7/8". Score at every 1/2" and burnish folds.
Next, pinch your pleats together and carefully fit into the fold of your folder, and adhere to the next section, creating a closed file folder.
I added a decorative brad to the front, and some twine to the top flap (which is covered up) but I brought that twine down over my files and wrapped around the brad, and used it to tie on my tag on which I stamped the Recipe for a Happy Marriage Label. For the insides, I die cut some tabbed recipe file dividers, and using my THoltz Distress Marker, I colored just the word from the Happy Marriage Recipe stamp that I wanted on my tabs. I then stamped the Recipe Lines on cream card stock several times and cut out. I sponged all the edges with distress inks, and then on K&Co dp, I stamped several sentiments from the above listed ODBD sets that had sentiments that fit my file categories. I tore the edges and adhered to my recipe cards. To assemble, I used dimensional tape, beginning with very thin ones for the first file, and working up in size until the back ones were quite thick. This gave me more of an appearance of depth.
That's it for the accordian file! Easy and fun! I then decorated the rest of my frame with a doily, several more ODBD stamped sentiments and die cut tags, and then I added two little laser cut wood birds I bought at Michaels. To color them, I simply sponged on various inks, not being too particular about details.
I adhered them to my frame with a hot glue gun, and I adhered the string from both tags to the backs of their beaks. I die cut a pocket from the ODBD Custom Apron &Tools Die set, added lace and faux stitching, and tucked the tag cut from the ODBD Custom Recipe Card & Tags Die set in to it, but out enough to read it. To finish it off, I hot glued on several flowers and punched greenery.
I hope you enjoyed my project and rather "impromptu" tutorial. I hope something I've shared in some way inspired you to try some wall art gifts, or perhaps a cute little recipe file for a few special family recipes you want to pass on to a loved one. I hope you'll tell me what you think and if you try it... do let me know!
Thanks so much for spending time with me today!!!
My blog: Th-INK-ing of You!